Embedded Linux

I am studying embedded systems, and wanted to design Linux based embedded systems.
Can anybody tell me what is the difference between linux we use in PC and linux we use in an embedded systems.

Replies

• pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    The difference in terms of services and functions comes from the distribution you are using.
    Let me know what you exactly meant by 'Linux we use in embedded systems'.
  • djoygaurav
    djoygaurav
    To understand this thing first of all we must know what is an Embedded System. It is a particular task based system having specific storage space,specific instructions to follow and the limited number of tasks to do.The Linux operating system which we use in Embedded Systems is very particular about the space it consumes as well as the modules it has in its kernel space,being more understandable if we compare the linux kernel which we have in our PC,MAC etc. does have so many modules for the functions which everyone don't use but the manufacturer doesn't know the user's usage domain hence it provides a general purpose operating system kernel with all the functionalities associated with it which may be used my the user(but not always),while in an embedded system, the task is specified as well as the developer knows the task or the domain for which the operating system is to be used sometimes along with the development board upon which it is to be installed. So the developer just includes the functionalities(modules) according to the usage so as to remain specific about the less storage available on that development board. Hope you'll get my answer. Still confused??reply back and i'll make u understand it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Peoples mental climate needs a change before much can be achieved in controlling global climate change. https://climate.nasa.gov/blog/2295
We all know that gaming footage recording and viewing is a huge market thanks to Amazon’s Twitch and Google’s YouTube Gaming. While both services cater to console and desktop gamers...
Better late than never, Skype web version (https://web.skype.com) is now available to users globally. Currently in public beta mode, the Skype for web was announced back in December 2014. Since...
Bioengineers at the Columbia University have succeeded in harvesting energy from water evaporating at room temperature. The team led by Ozgur Sahin has developed a tiny, $5 evaporation engine that...
Inspired from this post about ECE engineers, I thought we should have such a thread for all engineering branches. A lot of us have experience in the industry and are...