Electrowetting Displays : Better Than LCD ? Aye!

LCDs are made up of millions liquid cells & around dozens of layers like : glare reducer, polarizer,etc.. Due to such layers, the LCDs aren't capable to illuminate as desired.

Back in 2006,Samsung acquired Liquavista since the Electrowetting displays were in development.But now in 2013, Samsung is eager to launch this new screen technology in market.

Electrowetting, what is it?
Whenever charge is applied, the "wettability" changes & the fluid resides on surface of the metal (amount of charge is directly proportional to fluid coming out & residing on surface).The original idea came because of properties of some types of oils when combined with electric current.When current is applied the molecules loosens & expands & when charge is stopped it retracts back to original state.

The reason why Electrowetting is better than LCDs is : Even during direct sunlight on the EWD surface, the screen is still easily visible.Not only that, the Power consumption is extremely low than that of all other Screen technologies like LCDs,Backlight,AMOLEDs & Retina Display.
The response time of EWD is quite impressive, 3ms to turn pixel ON & 7ms to 8ms to turn it OFF : Quite good for playing Games.

Samsung in 2014, is about to launch an e-reader to compete with Kindle,Nobles & Sony, this new e-reader is in manufacturing process (& testing) which is made up of Electrowetting display.
Due to this low power consumption & brighter screen than current e-reader's screen, the battery life will be improved & even if the sun is right on your head you will be easily read the screen.More than that, it is assumed to be lot cheaper than current screens - so cost of upcoming e-reader by Samsung will be impressive.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What's the difference between class and id in CSS , I can only find out that class is for particular group of elements and id is for unique element, but...
Hello everyone, I am pursuing B.E in Mechanical and planning and planning for doing MS in USA. Here, I am facing a difficulty in selecting my major. I have shortlisted...
Who else but the one and only...? (check out the tricknometry while you are at it)
Beautiful, evocative gallery of winners of NatGeo's Photo Contest 2012. https://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/n...t=multi_20130121&utm_campaign=MultiProduct#/0
SSDs are super fast in transferring data. This fascinating video shows how SSDs are manufactured and tested. https://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105...ium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+cnet/pRza+(Crave)