Electromagnet Switch Timer

Hello World,

Im trying to design a clamp on a hinge that will clamp shut with two (or one) electromagnets attracting for a set interval of time. I would like the option to raise and lower the time interval with a dial (2 to 10 seconds). When the interval of time has passed I want an opposite current to flow over the electromagnets to make them repel from each other for 1 to 2 seconds and a mechanical device will hold the lever in place away from the base.

I read that a MOSFET can be used to direct the current, any suggestions?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    1. In the open position the magnets are too far away for the magnets (of a reasonable size) to work. It maybe simpler to use a spring on the hinge to do the opening at the end of the set time.
  • abdat60
    abdat60
    I want to manually press them down and just have the magnets hold them in place. the clamp is 15" long.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    abdat60
    I want to manually press them down and just have the magnets hold them in place. the clamp is 15" long.
    Then there is no issue. You should still consider a spring release at the end of hold down time. Simplifies the circuit.
  • abdat60
    abdat60
    Ahhhhh, good idea. Simpler is better.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A team at University of California, San Diego have 3D-printed a tissue that closely mimics the human liver’s function and physiology. It might be closest we have yet come to...
Here is one more of those self improvement essays. As it appears to be a long term plan not of much use to me. https://medium.com/life-learning/how-to-invest-in-yourself-417fab1bc665#.cm0byxrof
sir i have to register for off campus i am trying from 2 days to register, but site is not supporting for me to register, today is the last day...
Project Abstract / Summary : Objective of the project: This project “Wireless Mobile phone charger" facilitates charging your mobile phone without wires or any other physical contact of your mobile...
Man's attempts to communicate with probable interstellar inhabitants will receive a new boost this autumn when a set of messages collected globally will be broadcast to stars through space artistic...