Effect of pressure difference

Some people while traveling by an plane Find it difficult to cope up with the change in pressure inside the chamber

In this scenario the effect of traveling at 1000mph for those people can turn fatal

Why is this so?
Why are people not able to withstand Such High gradient of pressure variation ?
Who can't withstand such variations? (Any physical ailment)

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    People with lung or heart problems, who are unable to tolerate heights above 5000 feet above MSL may find it difficult to handle the lower oxygen levels inside a plane, which is maintained at a pressure equivalent to that between 5000 to 7500feet above MSL.
    Most people can handle this. On long flights this helps people quiet and rather drowsy reducing the load on the hostesses.

A more detailed analysis can be seen here:
    Cabin Pressurization
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Even I am sure about this Sir

But if the Rate of chnge of pressure is really high That is when the aircraft moves at speed nearly above mach2 as said in the article I had a question only in that condition
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Cabin pressure is independently controlled. Are you by any chance considering the physiological aspects of acceleration to reach 2 mach?
    A high acceleration can cause problems for many.
    Originally propeller planes were at ambient pressure. They did have pressure variation problem if they were climbing or descending too fast. Present day turbo props do have pressurized cabins.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Skylon Space Plane Powered By SABRE Has Top Speed Of 19,000 MPH

Sir this article made me think this

I am not sure about the effect

But I heard that the pressurising Takes a little time which is why the ascend is always slower in an aircraft we use now a days

But this seems not the case with this design
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Something does not gel. The cabin is like a closed bottle. What happens outside should not normally affect the inside pressure. The rate of ascent in a commercial aircraft is dictated by fuel economy rather than other considerations.
    Interesting. Let us know if more data comes up.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What happened to the small talk segment. We find that there has not been any inclusion in it for a really long time When is the next small talk on...
Well I was wondering Why miniaturised transistors are not yet implemented in the processors And I found this challenge really striking. The size of the transistor is determined by the...
Organized by- Govt. Model Engineering College, Thrikkakara Dates- September 26-28, 2013 Description - 010010000100010101001100010011000100111100100001 If you understood whatever that gibberish meant, you've probably paid attention in digital electronics (either that...
Wine,is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on POSIX-compliant operating systems. After one year since the release of Wine 1.4, the stable version of Wine i.e Wine 1.6...
This tutorial is for tenderfoot users of Linux.This tutorial will teach you to perform the basic tasks using the "Terminal". ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Logging & Session Management : login Use : To...