Editing C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file on Windows Vista

CEans,

I think following information might be useful to you. Windows Vista does not let you mess with the hosts file located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\

(even if you are logged in as an administrator).

There is a simple workaround for it.

Follow these steps:-

1. Click on Start Button
2. Rt. click on 'Notepad'
3. Click "Run As Administrator"
4. Click "Continue" on the prompt
5. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\ using Notepad's 'Open' location option.
6. Select 'all files' and then choose the 'hosts' file. Make necessary changes and save!

Simple, isn't it?
๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Replies

• Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Hi Biggie,

I did have Vista for some time, used it only as Admin. You can do this directly as well. Open the file in notepad or notepad++ and do the changes.

Vista Home right?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm not quite sure. I've admin credentials for my Vista Business edition, but I can't save the 'hosts' file simply by clicking 'save' button.

The notepad must be run as administrator (described above) so that hosts file can be saved.

More inputs are welcome
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    A similar file is there in linux - /etc/hosts
    And you have to do a similar thing to edit it - sudo vi /etc/hosts

Guess MS has finally decided to do the right thing ;-)

Waise, for newbies, the hosts file is used to resolve a domain at the client stage itself. So, if you know the ip address of a server, then just make the entry here to cut the time for the domain name look up

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, I was wondering if anyone among us can do a review of happenings at Mood I (IIT Bombay)? I'm sure it will be interesting to know what's going on...
hiiiiiiii there everybody im a 3rd year CS student n i need a good topic for my seminar.. 3-4 would be better .....I have to present a seminar of about...
Hello to everyone ๐Ÿ˜ this is velavan from chennai. I am new to this site, i think that it will be good to interact with u all
i need a very latest topic for seminar which is related to computer science tachnology
Hi all, One of my frnd was telling that we can not install driver aytomatically for sata hdd in win xp installation when BIOS is set to sata hdd. but...