Ebola Goes Online - Starts Affecting Computers

The Ebola is going online and has began affecting computers. The bad guys on the Internet have coded a malware that arrives through email and affects vulnerable computers and do really nasty things - like capturing your photos from your computer's webcam, record audio from microphone, get control of your desktop remotely, alter files and upload them to a remote server and even steal passwords. The United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team (#-Link-Snipped-#) has issued an alert about this fresh attack.

So far, two types of emails have been identified to carry the malware. One disguises itself as an authentic email from WHO about tips to prevent Ebola. The email has an attachment that claims to have the prevention tips. As soon as the user clicks on the attachment, the malware activates and downloads itself on the victim's computer. Second email is a fake one from Mexican Government about the status of Ebola in Mexico. When the user downloads the attachment, the malware downloads and affects the victim's computer.

Ebola-Malware

Trustwave, a security firm has identified these attacks as 'run of the mill' spam, with email subjects like "You won't believe what Obamacare & Ebola have in common" and "First GMO foods, now Ebola. What Obama doesn't want you to know". These emails aren't just as nasty as the one that seems to be from WHO; but users are recommended to refrain from opening these emails.

US-CERT advises all the email users not to open emails / attachments from unknown sources. Users must also keep their antivirus programs up to date. While the attack isn't very widespread yet, it's important that you should follow the basic online security tips to keep yourself shielded from cyber attacks.

Read More: Watch out for the Ebola email that could give your PC a nasty virus - Mirror Online

Replies

• Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    Keerthivasan Ravisankar
    #-Link-Snipped-# can you please change the default font to 'verdana' its poking eyes, please!
  • prahu mac
    prahu mac
    ohh my i got to keep my antivirus updated!!!!!!!!!
  • Leonce Chuwa
    Leonce Chuwa
    thanks for the tip..😁
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I shared this with my colleagues! and will make all my friends aware!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi guys I am new here..😀 And I'm very happy being here 😁hopeful i will get your support.. Starting: 1. I will like to know or discuss with you guys...
Can students below 60% in BE academics eligible for any psu after cracking Gate 2015???
Multinational companies have worked hard to integrate smaller and smaller transistors onto chips, but some already say that Moore's law is coming to the end of its road. However, nanotechnology...
Please give some details about training and courses for 2nd year cs engineers which will help in their placement.
What are the career opportunities for one after B.tech in mechanical engineering?