Easiest mode of payment for Indian customers

I am wondering what's the easiest mode of making payments for Indian customers. When I look at various reports from eCommerce companies, it looks like people still prefer Cash on Delivery option for majority of transactions; over any form of digital payments. The government is actively taking steps to promote digital payments by removing surcharges on card-based transaction and I'm wondering how long will it take before we'll see majority of people using cards for payments.

I also wonder if carrier based billing - that is; you pay from your mobile balance (Say, your phone has Rs. 500 worth of balance left; you'll be able to buy stuff up to Rs. 300 simply through it) is going to be huge in India.

I want to know how our fellow engineers like it? Digital or cash is still the king?

Replies

• [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Its been long I've stopped using cash. Digital payments offer way many advantages.
    You don't need to carry the load. You don't have to struggle for change, many times resulting in you overpaying. You're also safe from any fake currency notes which are wild these days. There was a time when digital payments were not so secure, but now the things are different.

The only reason why people still prefer COD according to me is not because they are afraid of doing online payment. If you notice, there are many websites which doesn't return your cash back to bank. They return it in form of their website currency. If you happen to change your mind and cancel a prepaid order before its delivery, you end up with your money stuck. Besides, COD gives you more time to think on your impulse purchase and let you cancel it without any liabilities. I've done this number of times. And COD doesn't mean you're always paying with cash. I pay with card in most of my COD transactions so that's still not a cash transaction. Its just not a prepaid transaction.
  • Jash Mota
    Jash Mota
    I think people refrain from using cards because there's lot of news around us about the security threats related to it. I think the resistance to move to the newer technology is a bigger factor which keeps people from using it.

Another reason might be the ease of process. While making a transaction through cash, it's just as simple as having over the cash. While for the cards, or any digital payment methods for that matter, have a few more steps involved.

I do think newer technologies like the Samsung Pay will ease this process further, attracting more people towards the digital way...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A research team from the University of Surrey has managed to transform light resistant graphene sheets into heliophilic graphene, which is capable of absorbing a staggering 90% of the incident...
Idea cellular is sending texts announcing the launch of 4G services and I'm willing to give them a try (before the big daddy Reliance Jionet sets its foot). The latest...
MIT engineers have devised the thinnest ever solar cell which is as light as a soap bubble! This breakthrough achievement might completely revolutionize the contemporary trend of miniaturizing technology. In...
Dr Matthew Philips and his team from the HRL laboratories has successfully incorporated brain activity patterns of commercial and military pilots inside a novice test subject, having little idea regarding...
Professor Hoi-Jun Yoo and with his team from the Electrical Engineering Department of the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST) is set to launch the latest version of...