DURUS, An AMBER Lab Spin-Off Robot Walks Like A Human

Paired with size 13 Adidas sports shoe, the walkathon aficionado DURUS is the new generation patrolling robot which can copy human leg movements and stroll for more than a mile as reported recently on a PR of #-Link-Snipped-#. 2015-16 has witnessed several robot based ventures throughout the small-medium-large technology industries, stomping one another with their brand new product with some extrinsic alterations. As per the Georgia Tech team, while other robots are dysfunctional in terms of the leg-depended locomotion, their research offspring DURUS is always ready to wander through the lanes of its incubation hub – AMBER Lab.

Established in 2008, AMBER lab thrives to construct milestones in the field of theoretical and experimental research in Bipedalism, locomotion, nonlinear and hybrid systems and prosthetic design. Prof. Aaron Ames, the leader of the AMBER lab has implied, DURUS is the most efficient 2-legged walking humanoid ever created and features a much more efficient and sophisticated habit of walking than its fellow members. It has been imposed that, multi-contact foot behavior played a pivotal role while achieving the target human-like motion.

AMBER_image

Traditionally, the bipedal movement in artificial subjects has been realized following an inverted pendulum-like motion which suggests that the top portion will move forward while the feet stay grounded. The arch created between the top and the bottom through waist then prevents the robot to gain the natural flair achieved in human walking and makes it difficult for them to push their body forward. Extracting the reference from the source, it was rather the group’s primitive idea which changed dramatically over the course of their particular device-specific research tenure.
The team incorporated a pair of metal feet with hunched soles in the test-subject coupled with a series of complex algorithms but that lead the robo-wonder to fall flat. On the 4th day, the modifications applied on the algorithm justified DURUS’s motion and finally it has risen to walk upright with its two legs. Dynamic human-walking features such as heel-strike and toe push-off were tested.

DURUS_image
DURUS: The Robo-Walker

As a matter of fact, the bottom half of the robot resembles human legs externally and also internally. Merged with springs between its ankles and feet, the artificial construction sports elastic tendons of mankind which in turn helps as an energy storage factor from a heel strike that could be spent in foot-lifting for advancing the steps.

As per the report mentioned in the source, DURUS’s manner of walking is very efficient with respect to its counterparts. Robot locomotion efficiency is measured using “cost of transport,” which could be explained as the amount of power the robot uses divided by the machine’s weight and multiplied with the walking speed. The dimension less quantity possesses a value of 3.0 for the best of its in-kind humanoids whereas DURUS made it possible to lower that down to 1.4. Being a self-powered robo-beast, it is not chained with any external power source.

Professor Ames gave a hint that they were probably up to something bigger than what the lab had served already. He specified, DURUS proved that they had tracked the correct resource but also it needs to grow from a toddler to a man. Once replicable, the research could revolutionize several aspects defining its application. The research was funded by #-Link-Snipped-# under Grant No. 1526519 and was designed in collaboration with the robotics division of SRI International.

Watch DURUS walking efficiently: "DURUS Walks Like A Human"

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# | #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Activated charcoal is used to treat poisonings, reduce intestinal gas lower cholesterol levels, prevent hangover, and treat bile flow problems during pregnancy. What do you guys think about taking activated...
Hello Guys, Good Afternoon I m New in these forum.
Water is one of the most important ingredients that supports life on Earth. India, with over 1.3 billion population and still counting more, could soon face the shortage of drinking...
Hey everyone! This is my first post here so take it easy on me! Before I get into the circuit I'll give a little backstory here. I'm a business student...
The all new LG X screen LGK500Y is here to amaze you with the finest craftsmanship paired with a second screen technology that segregates notifications beeping from the primary section....