Drones To Avoid Tiger Tttacks In Villages Surrounding Forests

From time to time, large mammals like tigers and elephants get into conflict with men and result into many a lives getting hurt. As a solution to this problem, researchers from Dehradun-based WildLife Institute of India (WII) have come up with the idea of using technology as a tool for human life protection. The researchers have planned to use autonomous drones for surveillance of forest areas. These aerial drones, equipped with high resolution cameras and a GPS device, will be flown around the periphery of the wildlife sanctuaries or forests so that if any big animal has strayed into a nearby village, the drone can find out the exact location of the animal as fast as possible. If any of the residents notice a wild animal near their area, they can notify the forest department and have the drone sent over.

wildlife-drone

Wildlife management deals not only with pest control or game keeping, but wildlife conservation as well and this was the much-needed step in that direction. Harnessing the latest technology for saving lives of humans as well as animals was the much-needed solution to the huge problem of human-animal conflicts. Using these Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs) should create a big difference to people living in areas surrounding dense forest areas.

Since we are on the topic of drones to the rescue, we can't help but mention the various areas where drones are being used to ease processes or reach unexplored areas. For instance, now food is being delivered to your table with drones and taking a giant leap forward, solar powered drones are being deployed to provide internet access to remote locations.

What are your thoughts about the drone technology? Share with us in comments below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Vignesh Ananth
    Vignesh Ananth
    here in drones surveillence camera is attached, it may give clear notifications about the roaming of wild animals. but my question is whether it act as a guard ie., I mean whether it acts like a forest ranger?
    Because it may give quick information, but between the time interval the forest rangers reaches the spot, the wild animals create damages.

please explain some more about drones...
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Sounds far fetched to me. We went to the North Esast for a trip. The last stop was the Kazhiranga Sanctuary. Since we reached late we could not do much except settle in at the resort adjoining the forest. We did see bisons, boars, deer and a distant rhino before checking in. That night we heard drums beating and loud shouting from the village behind the resort. Next morning we left for the elephant safari by 5-30 AM.We were told that a tiger came out the night before and took away a grown calf. We were advised not to go out after sun down. I could see toddlers and children walking about nonchalantly in the road outside while we remained inside that evening. Drones can do nothing in that sort of environment.

Much cheaper and more reliable to monitor the perimeter of a village at risk with long range motion detectors and such.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Its just an Addon and not Good substitue for present system when i consider the place and use of Drone for aBove usage.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am using labVIEW 2014. I am doing a project which is based on image acquisition and recognition. I installed both VDM and VAS tool kits. But i am still...
Hi, what's the optimum binary signal can be transmitted in a 1 Hz attenuation.
What's the best antenna design (aspect ratio) on spectrum 400~700nm?
dear sir/madam. please can you give some ideas for writing a code in web-technology.
My rank : 6003 My preference : 1.Sunbeam Pune 2.Institute of Emerging Technology Pune 3.CDAC Pune 4.Infoway Pune 5.IACSD Pune 6.Know-IT Pune My question is: Though my is not so...