Dot-Drawing Master Drones Have Amazed The World With Mural Paintings

Before opening the box of today’s artistic-technology news, can we ask ourselves why scientists are trying to make a painter out of an AI-powered bot? While painting is certainly not a simple task, it conjugates different sections of our brain that used to be a man’s sole aesthetics. Intelligent minds have probably wanted to see how a machine can combine thousands of artificial neurons and synchronize the output to a majestic artwork. Recently #-Link-Snipped-# has taken the concept forward, while different photo editing tools like Prisma Art Application: The Most Discussed Photo-Editing Tool For iOS, with a slightly different approach, are changing the market scenario.

Today, bending the line to a certain extent, drones of future generation have come out which will be your partner in drawing, plus will accomplish its conventional jobs. Professor Paul Kry and his team at McGill University's School of Computer Science has envisioned a group of tiny drones which with the help of a software, would be able to paint on walls. The technique relatively is easy to understand. Following the stippling technique, the drones fixed with a sponge and supporting holders thrush at the walls and a put a dot. Assembling all of them makes it a perfect artwork.

Mural_paintings_by_dronesDot Drawing of Drones

Internally it involves complex algorithms and measurements which support the drone to maintain a proper height and calculate position according to the input picture. Different sub-steps pushed the project forward by measuring each payload of ink on the wall and its corresponding effect, positioning, waiting time et cetera.

The mini drones can fit in a palm and it requires an accurate measurement to launch it up in the air. A tiny arm is coupled with the light air-vehicle, bearing an ink-soaked sponge. Once the instrument reaches near the target area, the embedded sensors riding over the virtue of motion capture system, support the whole instrument to hit the right place and smudge it with ink.
This programmed wonder has already created masterpieces by painting Alan Turing, Grace Kelly, and Che Guevara on paper glued to the walls. While talking about his motivation, he replied that he wanted to do something about the blank hallways and put famous computer scientists’ pictures. In 2014, he started the project with undergrad summer interns and directed them to charge quad-copters with the algorithm learned art technique.

Later the baton was transferred to Kry’s post-graduate fellows where they used to work at night hours and morning hours to avoid the air turbulence that might be caused by the traffic coming in and going out of the lab. In future professor would like scale up the number of drones and feature them with larger growth at different competitions. The paper related to this topic has own the “Best Paper” title in CompAesth 16: Workshop on Computational Aesthetics.

Watch what Prof. Kry has to say about it:

Source: Dot-drawing with drones | Newsroom - McGill University | Stippling with Aerial Robots

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If in case I have written the exam well and I am not in a position to go to US then will that certificate will be useful in India for...
I had an interesting request for an embedded system awhile back. The board was to boot fully into vxWorks, then load a couple different other vxWorks images into memory and...
What was the first computer that you ever had or used? I had a TI 99-4A
My new uDrone concept. Virtually undetectable and can deploy in mass quantities.
I know this probably is not the norm, but my last two times interviewing were like this: (1) I received a call just before lunch, they asked me if I...