Domains apple.auto, apple.cars registered - Is Apple to make dents in auto industry next?

Ever since Apple Computer got renamed to Apple Inc., the tech giant has been diversifying its domains and is no more limited to just consumer electronics. However, the automobile industry isn't something Apple has directly shown interest in, as of now. There is Car Play of course. And Apple has always had good words to say about Tesla. However, the rumour mill now has it that Apple has registered a few new domains related to cars, namely - apple.car, apple.auto and apple.cars.

apple-registers-car-auto-domains

Nothing about what is believed to be an electric vehicle codenamed 'Titan', has been revealed or even leaked, as with all things Apple. But the fact that Apple has been poaching talents from numerous other companies suggests otherwise. In fact, Mission Motors, a startup with a successful working model of an electric motorcycle, has reached near bankruptcy after losing top talents to Apple.

To aid all the speculation, Apple authorities have also been meeting with California DMV to review regulations of self-driven vehicles, and checking availability of Bay Area test tracks.

The automotive team is said to consist of former employees of Tesla, GM, Ford, A123 Systems, MIT Motorsports, Autoliv, Ogin, Concept Systems and General Dynamics, talented in vehicle design, battery technology, sensors and more. This leads to the belief that the vehicle could be electric and self-driven.

But whatever the speculations are, there will always be an element of surprise when the official announcement comes. Sometimes the surprise is that no announcement ever comes. In matters of Apple, one can only wait and see. And as the iCEO puts it, let there be dents.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A company with hundreds of billions in cash can afford some casual shopping. But let's hope that they'll launch something that worth the wait.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Why am I not surprised? Google, Facebook and Apple could very well have all the products in all the domains. I in fact thought the first car from Apple could have some reference to the word 'Mac'. Will wait for that.
    I read some tweet that said - "Apple will remove the passenger seats in version 2.0 to make it thinner." ☕😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I got talking to a friend yesterday (who is an Industrial Engineer by degree) and found out about all the amazing things she had done in research related to multimodality...
It seems that HTC is only in the mood the launch its Desire handsets. After launching the Desire 728G and Desire 828 in the past two months, HTC has now...
Tata Sky has decided to make its service called 'Everywhere TV' accessible for free to all its subscribers. Back in 2013, the DTH operator had announced Everywhere TV on Tata...
A research team from the Northwestern University have developed a single mode quantum cascade laser (QCL), that is capable of producing a high output power and electrical tuning necessary to...
In my recent talks with many engineers pursuing management entrance exams for doing MBA from the reputed colleges of India, I found that they have a common set of questions...