Does industrial development always happen at the cost of environmental degradation?

Recent global awareness and talks on climate and environment about measures to be taken to thwart the impending catastrophe owing to global warming and carbon pollution makes one ponder what should be the pace of our developmental projects. With the recent boost of policy of 'Make in India',will the critical balance of development and environment be crushed in the favour of one?
The question arises of not only environmental degradation but also of livelihood and habitat of population(tribals and ethnic groups)who were dependant on it for centuries and now stand displaced. While the developed countries having already achieved the required state of progress onus now lies on developing and underdeveloped countries which are yet to peak. Increased development means expansion of business,industries and trade which consequently means carbon credit and speedy environmental clearances. Some would argue considering the technology now available for filtering and reduction of pollutants the scenario might be different. Others might say we need to stop and rethink our practices before we embark on the path of no return. Isn't it after all the case of winsome lose some.
For all that is, it shouldn't be the situation where the price we are willing to pay for the so called development becomes so hefty that we are destroyed under the burden of it.
In urgency to grant industry and development its due,environmental aftereffects neednot be overlooked, which hardly seems to be the case happening in country.

So What's your take folks?

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    So this debate is regarding - 'Industrial Development against Environment'
    PS: I read somewhere the quote - "The opposite of nature is well, human nature." 😁👎

Though that is true for the most part (if we think about what's happening over the last few decades), I believe there's a scope for change. So the answer lies in why not both.
    Protecting the environmental and industrial development don't necessarily have to conflict with each other. If we study and implement the sustainable way of development, there's hope.

Why do environmentalists always shout slogans against development? Isn't that what the human race is striving for - Development, innovation and growth? How can ceasing development because you are degrading environment be any fruitful?

Many eco startups as well as MNCs are embracing the the eco-friendly ways of production & manufacturing. Why aren't environmentalists collecting money to fund these new sustainable developments practices instead of going on strikes or ceasing to acknowledge that we can't progress without development?

Human race fears stagnation. Having nothing left to develop is a worse idea for mankind. The effort lies is spreading awareness about techniques that involve encouraging green practices while having a strong vision of the future.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I would like to invite opinions on this from #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#,#-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    The inactivity from the Government towards this field has always depressed me. I have lost confidence on the statement that, government is willing to work on this area.

Paying attention to our surrounding, we get so many examples which are causing degradation of environment. I see people throw garbage in the river. I have stopped my bike on several instant and asked them not to do so. They show a casual attitude saying, "Apna dekh naa, tera kya Jata hai!". In some instance, people become aggressive when I try to stop them. But let it be. I will try my best every-time. Same types of examples can be numbered in n.
    And they day, we have our roads full of rain water, we can not blame the Municipal Corporation for this. BMC in this case, have written on the bridge wall, "Please do not throw garbage here".
    Lets go ahead doing our efforts in this area:-
    There are ways which we can help to decrease degradation in our environment. Some of these include:
    • Purchase recycled products
    • Conserve water
    • Do not litter or toss waste into inappropriate places
    • Conserve energy
    • Join an awareness group
    • Talk with others about the impacts of environmental degradation
    • Be an advocate to save our planet!
    Lets do our action (No matter how much efforts we pitch in), and try our best to make people aware about this.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I absolutely believe that development does not need to be anti-environment. In fact, it does not qualify as development if it degrades nature. This is one common mistake we make in classifying growth factors. A highway built is not development if it takes down a hundred acres of forest. That being clarified, there is growing concern - both in the government and the private sector to make sure environment does not take the brunt of the industrial progress.

Being from the automotive industry, let me cite an example which I think is the epitome of this ideology. Take for reference the emission norms any vehicle running on the ground has to comply to - these norms are what drive the auto industry ahead. Newer engines (and associated technology) are researched and developed upon year on year just to comply with this single norm. These standards are getting stricter by the year, and it is the government that mandates these norms. The private sector does more than just comply to them every year. The private sector invests heavily in R&D and more often than not are a step ahead in meeting these emission norms. If that is not the government and the private sector walking hand-in-hand towards a sustainable future and environment saving, then what is?

Let us take other policy considerations for the auto industry - like incentive provision for hybrid vehicles (taking care of the Fossil Fuel resources at the same time reducing carbon and other emission footprint per mile of vehicle run). This drives automakers invest in R&D for hybrid and alternative fuel research and produce vehicles which are far more efficient in conserving the nature. There are umpteen examples which support the fact that the policies these days understand that without environmental considerations, there an be no development.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In my opinion, industrial development always leads to environmental degradation in the real world. That is because all such developments are designed to optimise expense. Environmental protection is too expensive.
    Also the extraction of natural resources does interact (usually adversely) with the eco system, however concerned the exploiter. New roadways are designed to minimise distances and grading to optimise travel time and fuel consumption. They will cut through forests, go over waterways, have tunnels and such.
    Employment will be created, though not necessarily where the most benefit will be received. The problem is that the benefits of such development are seen immediately while the degradation leads to a slow, albeit irreversible, breakdown sometime in the future.

Electric locomotion may only shift the carbon foot print to the generating stations unless the power is nuclear or hydro. As I mentioned elsewhere even the lowly solar water heater may consume more power in the making of it and the materials used for it than it will save in its entire life time.

We are like ostriches burying our heads (this is a myth by the way) in the sand.

A lot of work reported from labs on bio solar power, Long life, super batteries do not translate to workable solutions.
    Who knows, they might. Hope lingers.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Looks like, so far only #-Link-Snipped-# disagrees with the idea. What are your thoughts on that #-Link-Snipped-#?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    An update:
    [​IMG]
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Trying to be an optimist here by asking some questions. Aren't there ways to achieve the best of both worlds? Can the road widening authorities not come up with a decent plan that doesn't affect the tiger life? What if there are ways to devise a step-by-step process for industrial development & environment to co-exist in harmony?
    I agree that there's no simple way out, but possibilities are abundant. I guess the 'will' isn't.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It is the money that is the issue. The ways exist. Knowledge exists. Concerted will by all stake holders absent.
  • Rucha Wankhede
    Rucha Wankhede
    Basically we as a world seek ways and results that lead to immediate gratification,that which shows us immediate applicable effects,hence the development-well being of the people model takes credence.We don't just explore other options that might be a little expensive might involve a certain extra effort on our part but nevertheless would work to ensure our longterm happiness and safety.This is the way environmental protection can be worked out with development but then who cares right until we face the catastrophe. Until then our chalta-hai attitude works best.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    This is an interesting article on
    'Clarifying societies’ need for understanding sustainable systems' that is very relevant to this discussion.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am working as a whitebox tester in Adobe. No doubt that they offer good salary but as i was working with TCS prior to this and was into development...
Folks,to begin with I am not an engineer. I love to discuss and debate and found the discussions here really interesting and insightful hence decided to join in. I love...
With Acer, it always seems to be about ‘firsts’. Just last year, Acer launched the first Chromebook with 15-inch display. Now, albeit only in India, Acer has announced a new...
The latest addition to its portfolio of innovative cameras is the all-new Samsung NX500, unveiled yesterday by Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. Sporting an amazing combination of stylish design and advanced...
I am not shutting down my laptop since last two days. I am just hibernating it. I have compiled my kernel from sources and added this patch . And honestly...