Documentary Movies Recommended By Engineers

Documentary films constitute a broad category of nonfictional motion pictures intended to document some aspect of reality, primarily for the purposes of instruction or maintaining a historical record.

List out some of the Documentary movies you have seen. πŸ˜€

Replies

• Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    I had seen this Documentary movie a month ago, 'Touching the Void (2003) - IMDb'.
    It is one the best documentaries I have seen, and instantly added it to my Favorite list of movies. It is about the story of two mountaineers and the tragedy they face when they attempt to reach the summit of Siula Grande in Peru.
    Ultimate adventure!

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    All the three videos of 'The Zeitgeist'. Must watch! -> #-Link-Snipped-#

Part - I

Part - II

Part - III

• Arnav Joshi
    Arnav Joshi
    There was this series on BBC Entertainment by historian Michael Wood - The Story Of India.
    Of course all time favorites include Inconvenient Truth(An Inconvenient Truth)

and Eleventh Hour (The 11Th Hour (Film))
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Cool. Keep them coming.
    I would love to watch more documentaries then boring monotonous love stories. 😁
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    Anoop, edit the links you have given. πŸ˜€
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Dancer_Engineer
    Anoop, edit the links you have given. πŸ˜€
    done
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    7aam Arivu (The first part)
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Must watch - BBC's Everything and Nothing [2 parts]

Here is a brief about the two documentaries starring Professor Jim Al-Khalil :
    BBC Four - Everything and Nothing, Everything
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Next on my list are -

1. Collapse
    [A documentary on Michael Ruppert, a police officer turned independent reporter who predicted the current financial crisis in his self-published newsletter, From the Wilderness]

2. Inside Job
    [Like the first, it takes a closer look at what brought about the financial meltdown.]
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    My list includes-

Please Kill me, I'm a Faggot Nigger Jew!

The Cove

Soul Surfer
  • Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    AbraKaDabra
    Next on my list are -
    Inside Job
    [Like the first, it takes a closer look at what brought about the financial meltdown.]
    Inside job is pretty intriguing! Yet to watch Collapse!

#-Link-Snipped-# Touching the Void is dope stuff! Superb movie!

Never knew so many CEans were into documentary! This thread shall be reviewed quite often now! πŸ‘
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The secret life of chaos (BBC)

Description -

Chaos theory has a bad name, conjuring up images of unpredictable weather, economic crashes and science gone wrong. But there is a fascinating and hidden side to Chaos, one that scientists are only now beginning to understand. It turns out that chaos theory answers a question that mankind has asked for millennia - how did we get here?

In this documentary, Professor Jim Al-Khalili sets out to uncover one of the great mysteries of science - how does a universe that starts off as dust end up with intelligent life? How does order emerge from disorder?
    It's a mindbending, counterintuitive and for many people a deeply troubling idea. But Professor Al-Khalili reveals the science behind much of beauty and structure in the natural world and discovers that far from it being magic or an act of God, it is in fact an intrinsic part of the laws of physics. Amazingly, it turns out that the mathematics of chaos can explain how and why the universe creates exquisite order and pattern.
    And the best thing is that one doesn't need to be a scientist to understand it. The natural world is full of awe-inspiring examples of the way nature transforms simplicity into complexity. From trees to clouds to humans - after watching this film you'll never be able to look at the world in the same way again.

• Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh
    Description-

Might the tools and technology of ancient builders have come from distant galaxies? Evidence suggests that an ancient mountaintop fortress in Peru was constructed with laser-like tools... temples at Vijayanagara India were built to harness cosmic energy... and an acoustic chamber in Malta enabled interplanetary communication. If the ancient builders did use advanced technology, could it prove that aliens visited Earth thousands of years ago?

Watch this-
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Machine to Die For is about the search for perpetual motion and free energy.
    Conventional science claims this is impossible, yet generations of inventors have been mesmerized by the promise of an engine that powers itself.
    The world’s reliance on diminishing fossil fuel resources and the associated problems of pollution serve to spur them on.
    A Machine to Die For showcases a number of dedicated, sometimes eccentric, and always obsessive individuals who have devoted their lives to this quest.
  • im_Aswath
    im_Aswath
    Saw Born to be wild recently .. Really amazing one.. πŸ‘

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    im_Aswath
    Saw Born to be wild recently .. Really amazing one.. πŸ‘
    Just downloaded yesterday... going to watch today😁
  • rambof07
    rambof07
    Documentary movies are totally based on real stories and too much effective with it's message.
  • Scholes18
    Scholes18
    Guys watch 'Space Race' ...its the best documentry I have watched so far...if you love technology you will surely love this one.here is the link for part 1.you can find other 3 parts on youtube

Space Race tells the story of the struggle between the United States and the Soviet Union's most powerful rocket design and thus to control the world during the Cold War. Central to the competition between two driven, but also reckless scientists: the charismatic ex-Nazi Wernher von Braun on the American side, and the mysterious leader of the Soviets that they only knew as 'The Chief Designer'.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Reviving the old discussion for good. πŸ˜€ Hoping that all CEans around will help this list grow.

Today I am going to watch this interesting documentary I came to know about titled - "Guns, Germs and Steel"
    There is a book by the same name that has won the Pulitzer award and if the book is so awesome, I can definitely spend spend 2-3 hours watching a documentary based on it.

What is it about?
    Jerad Diamond is inspired by a question asked to him on the island of Papua New Guinea more than 30 years ago. Thanks to the inspiration, he begins his world-wide quest to understand and analyze the roots of global inequality.
    • Why were Europeans the ones to conquer so much of our planet?
    • Why didn’t the Chinese, or the Inca, become masters of the globe instead?
    • Why did cities first evolve in the Middle East?
    • Why did farming never emerge in Australia?
    • Why are the tropics now the capital of global poverty?
    Produced by the National Geographic, the "Guns, Germs, and Steel" is a thrilling ride through the elemental forces which have shaped our world

There are 3 episodes named -
    1. Out of Eden, 2. Conquest, and 3. Tropics.

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Watched the first part and wanted to share that even my mum loved the concept shared in it. Some people argue that the explanation of Inequality as put forward by Jared Diamond might be too simple, but it can not be denied.
    He takes Geography, cultivation, farming into picture and explains why some nations are so under-developed till today, while advanced technology and modernization rule the other countries.

Looking forward to part 2 and 3.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    If you want to try on Environmental issues, Try to watch " 11th Hour " which has a lots of information and vision on future!!!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    "Guns, Germs and Steel" , looks interesting, will watch it.πŸ‘

I recently watched Oscar winner Jodaeiye Nader Az Simin (2011) - IMDb (2011) (language: persian), Amazing drama. One of the few movie you eagerly want to see credits in the end (though you don't understand any of them).
    What to watch: Perfect blend of acting and direction. If you have any question after watching this movie search and find or I will give you the Jodaeiye Nader az Simin (2011) - Frequently Asked Questions - IMDb.
    It reminds me the kind of move Ijaazat (1987) - IMDb.

PS: I din't find any other thread for great movie so added here.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Yeah. I've watched A Separation. One of the most realistic movies. Though, let's not categorize it under documentaries. πŸ˜€ This discussion is exclusively about the informative ones.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Science of Interstellar, Great watch.
    Just for heads up. How scientist discover a planet? Do they just take photo of planet?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    That's a great share. Will watch it soon. πŸ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here's one I came across recently. It's called 'Urban Living'
    The documentary talks about how far can we go with technology.
    Urban Living travels to development labs across Asia to give us an insightful glimpse of the future technologies. Take a look:

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Something awesome is coming on CE! Excited! You might have come across this as the yellow notice yesterday. And today what do you see? A Thermometer showing -273Β°C. Confused? I'm...
We've moved from regular reCAPTCHA to to quesiton-answers based human (engineer) verifications in the registration form to stop spammers from registering. The questions, I've been told are 'difficult'. For example...
Heard about this site; it was developed by Film star Rajini fans. The point is we have to disconnect our Network connection to access this site. I don't know how...
I recently came across something like "DDoS attack" whick is related to hacking. But i don't know what that means......can somebody tell me how it works??
Now they did it......the hactivist group Anonymous are building a social network website called "Anonplus". They claim that this website will guarantee privacy to it's users. They also claim that...