Do you believe Indians are bad programmers?

This 4chan thread is going viral: #-Link-Snipped-#

It talks about how Indians are bad in programming, internet etiquette etc.

It also raises discussions that Indians posting on Stack Overflow etc asking for the code. Or direct answer/help, without doing any hardwork. Such behaviour is also common in CE.

What do you think?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes, most of them; say about 99%.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Well, blame goes to habit of education system and poor lab quality. They get trolled on stackoverflow, they get to know to research before asking.
    On second note - Aren't Indian do their job for what they get paid!

Not everyone, who do touches code is a programmer โ˜•.
    I agree it feels bad when someone question your community. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - I'd differ here. The blame doesn't go on the education system. It goes to the recruiters and the programmers themselves. Recruiters - because they do not set the standards high; and students (programmers) who do not upgrade themselves.
  • avii
    avii
    #-Link-Snipped-# lets not blame our education system
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    as someone who fell in love with programming recently - these are the lessons I learnt and learning..
    - programming is a creative skill which like all creative work needs investment. time & effort
    - programming is not about writing code - its about writing code beautifully- which again demands patience and perseverance and extreme thought process.
    - coding != typing , coding = language + efficiency + simplicity.
    one simple test any programmer should do (atleast i do) is - do you feel relieved at the end of work or you feel satisfied?
    when you feel relieved, you just did what needs to be done
    when you feel satisfied, you know you did the best job.

I dont know about rest here, but I am quite a slow learner and my grasping capability is not that great either. that has made me to believe in 10,000 hrs of 'constructive' effort to get better at anything -including programming.
    โ€”
    now coming to the question posted by avii, most of the good programmers might have put lot of effort in learning (as I realised, programming cant be taught, you learn) and rest are just mediocre.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It goes to the recruiters and the programmers themselves. Recruiters - because they do not set the standards high; a
    Isn't it because they don't want smarter one!

Does a experienced programmer act dump without searching properly. then
    Anoop Kumar
    Not everyone, who do touches code is a programmer โ˜•
    For education system: I hardly see they focus on programming in CS curriculum then how can you except them to come out as programmer.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    #-Link-Snipped-#, programming cannot be taught. CS concepts can be.
    There are programmers out there ages 13 or 14 yrs who program amazingly. Obviously they don't get taught computer languages in schools, they learnt it, for this time-lets leave education system aside.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Ok.. leaving the education system. ๐Ÿ˜€

So where we are failing to produce good programmers. Lot's of IT companies are here, so many coders are working.
    Is it peer pressure of vertical growth to managerial level which is forcing programmers to go to managerial job. Other wise they will not get compensation.
    Have worked on 7-8 project, my perception is I see very less architect/analyst in Indian industry, who set standard of programming for their project.
    agree or not?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    the programmers set the standard. They know when they feel satisfied.
  • Ankit Litoriya
    Ankit Litoriya
    I try to write code by myself , but ends up with frustration of not finding logic .. how to start .. where to start.. and lots of question in mind ... but not the solution ... How to be a better programmer and learn tacts of coding?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Ankit Litoriya
    I try to write code by myself , but ends up with frustration of not finding logic .. how to start .. where to start.. and lots of question in mind ... but not the solution ... How to be a better programmer and learn tacts of coding?
    I think this should be in separate discussion thread โ˜• . Different people use different approach and here on CE, programmer can share their views.

I was hoping more CEians would reply this thread so we can identify where Indian programmers are falling behind.๐Ÿ˜’
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - that's why you've forums where people help others. If you are stuck, you may ask your doubts on CE and a well defined problem will definitely attract attention of the experts.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I was about to say - that is why we dont have great programmers ๐Ÿ˜จ
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    Do the recruiter even intend to get the 'good' guy? I seldom saw a "programming test" in a recruitment process. It seems preparing for "If were to be an animal, which animal would that be" is more important and sensible question rather than "I want to do xyz. Can you come up with some logic?" for a fresher who's about to attend a recruitment drive.

To Anoop, as durga said, it's a skill which takes time. You can notice, CE itself is overflowing with threads saying something similar like "Hi, I am in 3rd year CS but hate programming" and those are just the handful of courageous people who at least figured out they are not interested and not meant for doing this job and are trying to fix. Bottom line is where we're lacking cannot be fixed with the education or teaching. You cannot teach a bull to start giving milk which is exactly what is going on these days. Kids says they want to be musician, their parents spank their ass and say you're becoming engineer, joining TCS. IT got lots of money. I mean yeah, the intention of parents is correct but its not helping.

So coming back, do India have lots of Engineers? Yes! But they are substandard. If anything that backs up their claim of being is engineer, it is that piece of paper(degree). They don't have anything else to show it.

A simple example here is, if I am asked to build a sketch of a person, I'll do it, but it'll be extremely poor because I know I am not good at drawing. No matter what I do, I couldn't gather my interest in that field and will always suck at it. Same is the case here.

Its a shame that the days came where "get a job" is all over the mind of young engineers rather than "find a heaven" and I don't them.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

So ISRO's been successful in putting a satellite around Mars with an aim to study the Red Planet. Though I think it's an incredible achievement; I haven't got the answer...
Quote: The following series of photos was taken by professional photographers at great effort, so enjoy their skill and timing, because great photos like these have a lot of work...
With supercomputing needs increasing by the day across the world in various R&D projects, be it big data centers or security systems, developing cheaper solutions for creating our future supercomputers...
Quote: The influence of consumer tech on medtech design has increased tremendously in the past five years or so. โ€œWe are seeing a lot of consumer tech design influence on...
The last few days kept us on our toes. We were busy setting up a dedicated store for the t-shirts so that the entire process of owning a CrazyEngineers Tee...