Do we still need bluetooth? Why? Why not?

Spoiler: What brought to this debate?

The debate is why do you need Bluetooth these days? What is the real use?

As per my view: I don't use it at all! I share media through Watsapp these days. Only real content not possible to share via Watsapp is .doc and .pdf files. For an MBA student, she says that's important. But I convinced her it's no big deal as you've your laptop and the internet for such transfers as well.

What do you guys think? Does Bluetooth still have importance in your life?

P.S.: Why opt for a phone with Bluetooth if you plan to use it maybe once a year or so? (My condition at present).

Answer the poll. If Bluetooth is everything for you, mention it (Bluetooth headsets, bluetooth earpiece, Bluetooth Speaker control, Bluetooth TV remote (if there's an option), Bluetooth Appliance controller, etc.

Replies

• Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    We don't use Bluetooth every second day,
    but what if you are dealing with a guy doesn't have a smart device, no wi-fi and internet?

I am sure still its high chance that they will have the Bluetooth which will help you exchanging the data.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I am still not convinced.We can't share files through what'sapp or mail if there is any data problem.Moreover i never use whatsapp to share files if the receiver is nearer to me and that's the place Bluetooth comes handy.For big files, i say no to internet ( i use 2g predominently and 3G for tethering )
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# : Yet, maximum vote goes to : " I use it not that often."

Would you consider a Bluetooth less phone?
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Rajni Jain
    We don't use Bluetooth every second day,
    but what if you are dealing with a guy doesn't have a smart device, no wi-fi and internet?

I am sure still its high chance that they will have the Bluetooth which will help you exchanging the data.
    It's not really going to be the case in next few years. I'm sure about 65 to 70% of the youth have already switched to Smartphones.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Anoop Mathew
    It's not really going to be the case in next few years. I'm sure about 65 to 70% of the youth have already switched to Smartphones.
    Yes we had switched to new generation smart phones but yet i consider a phone + Bluetooth option.
    May be if apps come with option to share docs and files added that my people surrounding me use smartphone without Bluetooth .
  • lal
    lal
    I wish my phone had infrared, wifi ac along with b/g/n it supports now, glonass along with gps, IP68 protection, a 6Ah battery, 128GB storage with 128GB card support and a fully open user modifiable firmware!

But if I look back and see if I'd really need all those stuff, as you said I might use them probably only once a year. Or only out of curiosity! In practise, those are not at all needed. It is like, what if some day a use arises, that is what most people think. Trying to be fully compatible with any situation 😁

Regarding bluetooth, there are a lot of people who still use it very much to connect various accessories like headphones and key boards. If file transfer is the only concern, yes there are ways to transfer files over wifi these days which are incredibly fast. But, it is not feasible to use wifi to connect to 'accessories' and send small files. It simply needs a lot of power on the first place. second would be the more complex hardware. Third is security, you are visible over a larger area than that of blue tooth when using wifi for the purpose. Definitely wifi wins when you need to transfer gigabytes between devices.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Rather than Bluetooth, there's are new apps like "Super Beam" which uses Wif-Direct , or even just capability of your phones to create Wi-Fi hotspots, and can transfer files at blazing fast speeds.

I transferred some 700 MB of data in just around ~3 to ~5 minutes.

Oh yes, and it works well with your PC too, and even older mobiles, where you can just connect to Wi-Fi, and open up a browser.

That's quite amazing. So, blue-tooth is not needed I guess.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Very good debate topic! I personally have become a fan of Wi-Fi direct. It's faster, more efficient and helps transferring HD video files in a blink of an eye. However, I think Bluetooth will continue to make it to the mobile phones and other gadgets, because of the sheer popularity it enjoys.

In the next 5 years, all of us would be relying more on cloud to store and share our data than keeping it all on our mobile devices. For example, if I wish to share a video that I shot at a party would be kept in my cloud account and will just pass on the links to let my friends/relatives view it. No long term storage would be needed. Let 4G establish and you'll see it coming to reality.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I agree but blue tooth still have a edge , it doesn't require active internet connection but all other modes requires same unless you are on LAN
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    also bluetooth have other benefits you can use internet on your PC just by connecting your mobile device with your PC if in case you don't have LAN wire or something like that
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Spoiler: What brought to this debate?

The debate is why do you need Bluetooth these days? What is the real use?

As per my view: I don't use it at all! I share media through Watsapp these days. Only real content not possible to share via Watsapp is .doc and .pdf files. For an MBA student, she says that's important. But I convinced her it's no big deal as you've your laptop and the internet for such transfers as well.

What do you guys think? Does Bluetooth still have importance in your life?

P.S.: Why opt for a phone with Bluetooth if you plan to use it maybe once a year or so? (My condition at present).

Answer the poll. If Bluetooth is everything for you, mention it (Bluetooth headsets, bluetooth earpiece, Bluetooth Speaker control, Bluetooth TV remote (if there's an option), Bluetooth Appliance controller, etc.
    P.S.: Sweet Spot: 😁

At the end of the day, she still wanted android high end specs, so questioned her choices and left her in chaos. Even told her to wait for Project ARA, and showed her the info on CE. Told her it's safer to settle for a phone in Rs.25k and with the remaining Rs.25k buy a DSLR camera!😛
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Another usage of bluetooth would be the bluetooth based ear plugs.
    All cars with modern technology have features to connect to phones using bluetooth.

Right?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I would like to say if you want Bluetooth for data transfer then you have better options but yeah in case you want to use some Gadgets then Bluetooth is very good option. So still Bluetooth has it's own application and it is not going to be dead soon.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I see Bluetooth having more relevance in low power connections in PANs (e.g linking your handsfree and smartwatch with your smartphone, or health sensors). Wifi is still a battery power hoarder.
  • ashie
    ashie
    Well all that wi-fi based applications,lyk , whtsapp,viber,etc..will need one basic thing to work,i.e, internet connection..what if u are in remote place or u don't have internet...at that point bluetooth comes handy..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Air-Gap Malware has ability to travel through air as sound waves and thus capable of attacking every physical computer (even without an internet connection) Read more here : https://www.efytimes.com/e1/fullnews.asp?edid=132438
Hi Rupan...!!! I am currently studing in my second last year of BS-IT degree,so i wanna ask some projects ideas regarding field of Networking, Web Developement ??? Kindly give me...
what is main purpose of kerberos?
A new free app on the Android and iOS platform called "bSafe" lets you deal with any kind of emergencies in day to day life. It is designed to keep...
In recent time, a medium to high range smart phone costs you somewhere 20-50 K. I am sure that even a dream of losing your phone will give you some...