Do the number of features make product / service popular?

I'm thinking if the number of features make a product or service popular? That is, more the number of features a product or service offers; the better are its chances of becoming popular. I wonder if it holds true.

Curious to know from our fellow engineers what their opinion / experience is. Of course, we are talking about hardware as well as software products. Inviting #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# who are from different domains. Would love to know if adding more features to the product has helped you make a service / product more desirable / useful / popular ?

Of course, others can join the discussion. It's an open discussion after all 😀

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I can tell about kitchen appliances.
    An basic induction stove is certainly useful in the kitchen. The latest ones have all the bells and whistles including IoT. In private conversations most of the women employees of two generations told me that they do not think much of it. The marketing chief came by later and was extolling thee benefits of the latest souped up version. He said,'you know. It can be switched on from China?' His secretary said,'That's cool. But I will be reading 24 hours later.'
    Novelty sells the first lot.Word of mouth kills feature filled gadgets.
    The Indian Heart Valve was fully developed with Autocad 6 on a lowly DCM desk top occupying a huge space (8" floppies for God's sake).

I am old fashioned. I prefer products that fit the intended purpose with complete reliability.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Agree with Ramani Sir as in few applications you really do not need too many features but only the essential ones.
    But on other hand in most of the application I can see that people is demanding new features for example; There were automatic pump control to fill up your Overhead Tank. And generally it was system that was just doing your pump ON and OFF depending on if it needs to fill up or not but now I can see many people is demanding that they want to know the level of the Overhead Tank as well as Underground and along with that if you have alarm and system that can sense if your pump is damaged and price is not too much high.

So I would say people now a days needs more feature but on basis of price. If price is not much higher then they like to have more features. 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thank you for your inputs, #-Link-Snipped-# sir and #-Link-Snipped-# . The classic example is WhatsApp - which certainly lacks the features its competitors offer and yet rules the mobile messaging markets.

People do not really use all the features a product has and perhaps it's wiser to figure out a set of features that 'define' the product and make them super intuitive to use. Would love to have more thoughts on this.
  • Sumukh Madgaonkar
    Sumukh Madgaonkar
    Adding to watsapp post, It also depends how user friendly the product is. The more easy to use the more it can be popular.....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Am having two routers with different network, I wanted to know can I connect two routers with Internet access in single network?
Karbonn Mobiles very quietly have put up details about their brand new smartphone on their company website. The Karbonn Quattro L55 HD was spotted by prying eyes of the media...
Waiting for the darkness to unfold the truth behind those red-masked eyes? Talking about ROG logo of course, recently the team reunited to bring ROG GX-700 in India and today...
Friends i got placed in Infosys and was happy with it but soon after some days CoreEL Technologies came to our campus and i got placed in that company also...
In a particular arc welding operation 5 mm thick steel plate requires 40 A current , what should be the current requirement for welding 10 mm thickness plates? a) 10...