Do marks define the capability of a student?

Do marks on score card define the capabilities of a student?

Also, many judgements are made on the basis of marks on the score cards? Do you think the judgement is justified?

Replies

• Akhil Prasad
    Akhil Prasad
    no.................
    creativity does not depent on score cards...................but capability does, to some extends.........
  • suman.mathad
    suman.mathad
    even.. i dont think so marks define capability or creativity,,
    bt one thing is for sure,,, if u cant get sufficient marks ..
    we should never say all these things!!!!
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    no not really!
    Marks can't define the capability of a student.I think knowledge of an individual best define its capability not marks.
  • gaurav.bhorkar
    gaurav.bhorkar
    Well I think it depends on the type of exam. Descriptive exams do judge the capability of a student to much a greater extent than multiple choice questions (MCQ) exams. Because in MCQs you can get away with a fluke, but in a descriptive exam your theoretical knowledge, writing skills, etc are tested.

Also, many judgements are made on the basis of marks on the score cards? Do you think the judgement is justified?
    Provided the answer sheets are checked properly.
    And by the way, what other ways are there to make a judgement rather than a score card?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, marks in exams may reflect the capability of the student in the subject for which the exam was conducted. If a student scores lesser marks in Math exam - it might be an indication that the student isn't good in math. But I'd not forgot to mention that marks in just ONE exam may not necessarily reflect the capability of the exam taker.
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    marks cannot be used as a judgement criteria all the time.
    the students' theoretical knowledge can be based on the marks... but the practical knowledge wise the one who is scoring the least can be the best. so we can't underestimate any one based on their marks..😀
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    yes ofocurse! but not every time.

marks in just ONE exam may not necessarily reflect the capability of the exam taker.
    And this is absolutely correct.

And by the way, what other ways are there to make a judgement rather than a score card?
    Yes, score card is the only way in our system to define a student. Even all the colleges/companies will give cut off marks for admissions/interviews. They won't conduct HR/personal interview firstly.
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    sahithi pallavi
    Yes, score card is the only way in our system to define a student. Even all the colleges/companies will give cut off marks for admissions/interviews. They won't conduct HR/personal interview firstly.
    yes, you are very true but the question is do really a score card give the better or even the best judgment to the capability of a student.What would you think?
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Well, Marks define the capability of a student, but we can't underestimate the students with lesser marks. But these days, in our system, to prove his/her capability they have to get good marks, because its the only way to recognize them.
    Marks are important, But its not the only way to scrutinize and judge the students. They should have some more rounds to judge a student like interviews, skills round etc.
  • kamal_kj5
    kamal_kj5
    ofcourse,marks are important,but they do not show da potential of the student ryt way.Maybe a student's marks might change based on his current position,but he can be a lot more capable.This is the reason why companies conduct interviews.Otherwise ,they can rely just on marks.Best examples are many of the scientists V knw.
  • Debasmita Banerjee
    Debasmita Banerjee
    Well I guess it depends on how you comprehend "capability". If you are asking "capability of fetching hefty numerical digits on a paper", well I am afraid the receiver was not capable enough to fetch that. On the contrary, He was capable enough to fetch what he received. To be more clear, I believe capability is completely a premature idea that changes from one scenario to the other. It is very unlikely that numbers of a certain exam will judge what this system aka person actually can do or experience in real life.

My discussion might go out of the topic, but human brain is much more complex to be judged by mere numbers. Evaluation process is no way proportional to someone's merit neither work. Many of us might know that Sir Albert Einstein failed in his Chemistry exam in graduation. Does that mean he was less meritorious? This marking factor of marks is a cliche according to me which rather generates thousands of bereaved souls trying to jump off the roof just because he or she got failed.

But officially evaluation is required as this world needs to give food and shelter to everyone and it cant be equalized among all the people. That in no way means the person is capable of doing nothing. If you fail in studies you might use your hands in weaving, to me that is much harder than studying. But all I mean is it's completely meaningless to rely on marks to judge one's worth.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

HCL Corporation has decided to offload 2.5% (16 million shares) of its shares and donate the money raised to it Shiv Nadar Foundation. The IT services provider tanked 7 per...
I was randomly thinking about mini projects in Computer Science... and I came up with an idea of creating a desktop application to convert instrumental music (.wav files) into Notations....
Meaning: annoying person Usage: He is only a gadfly, paying too much attention to his like would be a waste of our precious energy. Syn: nuisance, pest
Is it true that a multimeter works at the giga hz frequency? I'm quite curious to know.
CEans, Tell us what do you think is the top feat of engineering ever? Also, you must support your answer. 😀 Is it the Great Wall Of China? Is it...