Do linux need drivers like windows?

i am about to install to install linux, i want to ask that, Do Linux need drivers like windows for everything i.e. network, sound, video and i am installing KALI LINUX .

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Yes, every OS needs drivers to interact with you computer's hardware. I havent used KALI Linux so i can't give you any specific details, but most linux distros come with drivers for common devices.

By the way, any specific reason for this distro? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    Every distribution of Linux does require drivers.

Do not see the drivers as a setup (.exe) file as you see in Windows. Drivers are basically programs written to allow for amenable interaction between human and computer hardware.

All such programs are sitting in /etc/ directory of your filesystem. Most of these programs are written in C or bash language and are meant to achieve specific goals.

In LINUX, there are few drivers that are in-built. Others have to be compiled separately.
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Aashish Joshi
    Yes, every OS needs drivers to interact with you computer's hardware. I havent used KALI Linux so i can't give you any specific details, but most linux distros come with drivers for common devices.

By the way, any specific reason for this distro? ๐Ÿ˜€
    got so many SPL tools and there is much to learn

proffy

Do not see the drivers as a setup (.exe) file as you see in Windows. Drivers are basically programs written to allow for amenable interaction between human and computer hardware.

All such programs are sitting in /etc/ directory of your filesystem. Most of these programs are written in C or bash language and are meant to achieve specific goals.

In LINUX, there are few drivers that are in-built. Others have to be compiled separately.
    where I can find these drivers ,is there any SPL website?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    I see this is a debian based distro, you probably dont need to worry about the drivers they should be taken care of. However, i would recommend installing it as a virtual machine using Oracle's VirtualBox first. This way you can experience it without disturbing the current OS.
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Aashish Joshi
    I see this is a debian based distro, you probably dont need to worry about the drivers they should be taken care of. However, i would recommend installing it as a virtual machine using Oracle's VirtualBox first. This way you can experience it without disturbing the current OS.
    I was doing it till now ,but in this case ram is divided b/w both os that creates problems in some apps
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    Jatin Asija
    got so many SPL tools and there is much to learn

Drivers, basically are encapsulated in what are called as packages. When you want to use a different service, you are prompted to install certain packages from the terminal. These packages contain the configuration and the service information all together.

In Windows, there is a GUI (radio buttons, check boxes, drop down lists etc.) to configure a particular hardware or service. In Linux you have to install appropriate packages. Once you are done with the packages, certain files are going to appear with the extension .conf. These files have got modifiable parameters and their values (key-value pairs) where each key has got its own significance. The values associated with these keys have to be changed based upon your configuration requirements.

Tip:
    Do not change these files if you are not sure as to what you are doing. You may end up corrupting the file system and the operating system.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    All opensource drivers all already upstreamed into Linux Kernel itself. So, unlike Windows you don't have to install drivers separately, except the proprietary ones.

For example, If you have ATI Radeon graphics card, when you install a linux distro, it will by default install Radeon drivers (opensource drivers maintained by X.org devs), but if you need proprietary one maintained by ATI developers (known as fglrx), you can easily switch to it.
    Same with Nvidia gfx cards, Nouveau (opensource) is by default, you can pick proprietary one and replace it.

Other hardware drivers like sound, touchpad, USB,etc. are already there in Linux Kernel itself.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    proffy
    True.

proffy
    Okay.

proffy
    Whaaaaaat ?
    /etc directory simply contains configuration files, simple as that. Drivers don't reside there. Depends on the use of device, it resides in user-space or kernel-space of Kernel. If device need to respond to interrupts then it is to be written in kernel space.

proffy
    This is ultimate bullshit. Not few but most drivers are already there in Linux kernel itself. Let me tell you, If you're going to install Linux distro in machine, you'll hardly have to waste time in installing any driver cuz kernel have it all, except proprietary drivers.
    Proprietary drivers are never accepted or merged in mainline.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Jatin Asija
    You won't find these drivers anywhere, 'cuz you don't need it.
    Only the proprietary graphics drivers will be available in Nvidia and ATI website.
    But if you're not going to game in Linux, you don't even have to care about proprietary blob because Opensource drivers are already installed by default, which works out of box.
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    Abhishek Rawal
    /etc directory simply contains configuration files, simple as that
    Well that was my mistake. Its 'configuration files' and not 'programs'.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello everyone, this is Manish from Delhi. These days I am planning to start my own small company with a capital of Rs. 5,00,000/- initially related to pure electrical work...
A large number of devices under the Honor series of Huawei are being launched this year. Last month, as we informed you, the company launched the Honor 7 smartphone. Honor...
Today our one of the oldest active(Joined Date ๐Ÿ˜‰) CEan @Anil Jain is celebrating his Birthday today. Wish you many many Happy Returns Of The Day CrazyBoy-CB !! ๐ŸŽ‰โ€‹
Google wants to replace our memories with searchable video archives of our experiences. Yep, you read it right. Google has been awarded a new patent that hints at Google Glass...
The Chinese corporation ZTE is poised about it's latest smartphone in its new Axon series called the 'ZTE Axon Lux'. The recently unveiled Axon series by ZTE now has three...