'DNA Fog' Cloaks Protein On Criminals; Helps Lawmakers ID Them Later

DNA can screw big time, crime or no crime. My maternal side is always at the receiving end when I start ranting about the stupid potato-nose I've been gifted with, but again, that's no crime. I just have to "deal with it". But crime (serious shit at that), my friend, can get you in a mess you'd not have wished upon yourself, and the latest 'DNA Fog' tech from Applied DNA Sciences of Stony Brook, New York, ensures that. We've always been told how DNA builds proteins and all, carrying the biological information from parent to child, and how it's even dubbed the 'human barcode'. The device 'DNA Fog' fills a suspected crime-scene with DNA-laden smoke to tag and perplex the person.

slide
The DNA 'tag' stays on the skin invisibly for nearly two weeks, and it is difficult to wash it off from clothes (and if at all the criminal does away with the clothes, he better lose his shoes too). Should the criminal come under arrest, swabs shall be collected and studied using a process known as Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR). PCR amplifies the generic substance, thus making it easier to spot. And the stuff comes so cheap that even amateur Sherlocks can go on testing it.

The DNA sequence is alterable and artificial, so every different place can have its own unique code- so if a bank gets robbed or a museum's missing an artifact- lawmakers can trace both the criminals by tracking the respective DNA codes on the suspects. It's like misting the suspect with the scene address itself. Cool no?

Replies

• aNaN
    aNaN
    w0w...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i want to do some innovative in my project of last year......i m a mech. guy so guys plz suggest me some highly innovative topics........
Today I went into my line of thoughts again and felt like my degree in software engineering is a waste.I always thought I will do something for the betterment of...
Hi, I want to replace sendmail command by mailx. But in sendmail there is one option available -OEightBitMode=mimefy (to convert 8 bit to 7 bit). Is there same kind of...
how to find the no. of hits on button in a web page using jsp. The no. of hits has to be started with the last hit that has been...
Here's a project idea for mechanical engineering students. How about designing a ceiling fan that is suicide proof but will offer exceptional level of reliability during day-to-day operations? The ceiling...