Disney’s Ishin-Denshin Project Makes An Audio Transmitter Of Your Finger-Tip

Disney’s Ishin-Denshin Project is something where audio could be beamed person-to-person via a simple touch. Huge win for the electronics segment, no? Indeed is! Disney Research has nicknamed their project after a Japanese mantra that means "what the mind thinks, the heart transmits." In other words, they've just created a medium of communication that's way more intimate than a silent whisper in the recipient's ear. Here, the technology that's at play transmits a high voltage, low power sound from one person's body to another. The setup has been developed at Disney Research Pittsburgh by Yuri Suzuki, Olivier Bau and Ivan Poupyrev.
slide

From what Disnet demonstrates [VIDEO below], a woman mouths words in a microphone and goes into a silent stance. The sounds are then captured by a computer, and a loop is created which is sent to an amplification driver. The looped sound now is inaudible, and is retransmitted to the metal casing in the microphone. The woman now has that audio "installed" into her body, and this process continues as long as she's holding the microphone. Now when she moves away to touch her partner on the ear, the audio gets transmitted to her partner. This happens because the finger and ear combine to form a speaker, and the vibrations translate into audible sound which the other person can now hear. Jaw-dropping serious stuff!
disney

The experiment opens quite a many avenues where certain sounds could be absorbed and transmitted into more meaningful codes. Touching peoples' ear all the time may not be appropriate, considering all those places, but at a personal level this feels just great. With Disney having stridden great lengths in robotics and other fun research recently, it'd be great to see how the Ishin-Denshin project evolves.

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Ishin-Denshin project is quite astonishing. This could be the best way to transmit secret messages and the working seems complicated.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Not so private mate

The women has to speak first into the microphone and the spoken word has to travel to a computer

There we have a loop hole which can be manipulated However we want
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Jeffrey Samuel
    Not so private mate

The women has to speak first into the microphone and the spoken word has to travel to a computer

There we have a loop hole which can be manipulated However we want
    but the idea seems great.Suggest me the applications of this project
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    SarathKumar Chandrasekaran
    but the idea seems great.Suggest me the applications of this project
    Application wise I am sure data Security will increase
    SO ATM's other passwords can be inputed by this tech

Transferring ideas from one person to another without any actual words being spoken in that place
  • mukhil mayuri
    mukhil mayuri
    whats with the high amplitude and low power in the transmitted signal??
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This is unbelievably awesome. The other day I was standing near two HUGE speakers and the vibrations it was emitting were so scary large that it made me think - why we aren't using the sound energy's full potential. (Pardon my ignorance on the topic). And then I came home to read this news. It converts sound energy into electrical energy so that when you whisper into a microphone, an electrostatic field is created. Awesome-some!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    mukhil mayuri
    whats with the high amplitude and low power in the transmitted signal??
    More power will mean really a painful experience for the listener So we go for higher amplitude signals and not high power signal

If power is high you will feel a sort of shock by the by.
  • Rohit Nair
    Rohit Nair
    Its really a great thought...... but i didnt understand how the sound is getting inaudible????? wats the concept behind that????
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Simple higher amplitude and lesser power

If it has to be audible in a longer range power has to be more
    Rohit Nair
    Its really a great thought...... but i didnt understand how the sound is getting inaudible????? wats the concept behind that????

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

My question is about the heat dissipation in the rail engines. Engines being a mechanical device gets heatedup on continuous working and heat dissipation must be done and nowadays we...
I really don’t know why we are stick up to 3 phase alternator I don’t believe it is constructional limitation What are the reasons for limiting up to 3 phase...
ARM based Chromebooks & low-speed Atom based Chromebooks had some concerns related to processing speed. So, Finally few good companies like HP,Acer & Asus are bringing out the new Chromebooks...
The mecca of Indian engineering & technology, the institutes most of you (had) bet your lives on to get into, the revered Indian Institutes Of Technology do not seem to...
If I ask this question to a school kid, The probability the answer is "YES" is high.So I am posting this question to you because all of you would have...