digitallocker.gov.in - Store Important Documents Online

The Government of India has launched digitallocker.gov.in facility to allow storage of important documents online. Indian citizens with valid Aadhaar card will be able to store all their frequently used documents like Aadhar Card, Degree Certificates, Electricity Bills, Driver's License, Government ID Proof, HSC/SSC Certificates, MNREGA Job Card, PAN card, Passport, Property Tax Receipt, Ration Card, Rent Receipt, Residence Certificate, RSBY Card, Telephone Bills, Voter ID Card, Water Bills, Marriage Certificate, School Leaving Certificate etc. online. In addition, the service will also provide you with a secure link which you can share whenever required.

digitallocker-gov-in

The most important use of the service is that you need not carry all the documents with you. Just share the link with government agencies whenever required. That is, in near future; if you want to apply for passport; you will not have to carry any documents with you. The passport application form may ask you to provide your digitallocker links for document verification.

The service allows every member to 10 MB of storage space. However, that is too small if you upload a few PDFs of your document. I'd guess only 10MB would hold 2-3 documents at the most. The department of Electronics and Information Technology is likely to upgrade that space to about 1 GB; but there is no clarity on when will this upgrade happen. Update: The service provides every user with 1GB of free storage space which should be more than enough for any user. The problem however is with the limit on the file size, which is just 1MB.

Let's take an example. If you want to upload your company incorporation certificate or birth certificate, and you create a PDF document. The size of the PDF is likely to be more than 1 MB; and in that case the service won't allow you to upload it. I think the department will have to look for upgrading this limit to about 5 MB.

It's recommended that you should use the proper option from the drop-down list while uploading any document. If you want to upload your degree certificate, the system allows you to store it with proper details like 'State', 'University Name', Exam Seat No, Your name as per the certificate etc. In addition, you can also provide a 50 character description with each certificate.

The same goes with PAN card, you are allowed to enter pan card number, your name as per PAN card etc. For passport, you will be asked to enter passport number, name, date of issue, date of expiry and place of issue. I'd guess that the government is likely to use this data internally to offer better services. For example, if any government agency requires this information from your passport - then it should be able to get it directly by accessing the document you have stored.

One important information to note is that the service will work only for those with a valid AADHAR card. I created an account by entering my aadhar number and the service pulled in all the information it has including my address, email ID and phone number. All I hope is that the service stays secure and hack proof so that our information remains secure.

The DIGILocker service seems to be government of India's attempt to offer an alternative to Dropbox for all your official documents. I look forward to your comments on the Digilocker facility. Do you think it's an interesting step towards faster processing of documents? Will it help curbing corruption to some extent?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Bribes may go under the last item 'Others'.
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The size of the PDF is likely to be more than 1 MB;
    No its not true ,if you choose the right options the size of a document with proper quality will not more than, 500kb or equal to size of the image (which can be compressed without degrading its quality much).
    I converted my documents to pdf using microsoft word, May be you are using any other approach 👀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - I just checked the PDFs I've created for passports of family members. All the PDFs are at least 2.2 MB in size. I'm thinking that the size of passport would be influenced by how you create it. For example, my passport scan is basically an IMAGE saved as PDF. If any document has a scan / photo it's likely to exceed 1 MB.

If the service allows for 1GB of storage, I think they should allow files as big as 5-10 MB. I'm not sure if anyone would ever upload 1000 / 1024 documents to fill up 1GB. Bigger file size makes more sense, IMHO.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Kaustubh Katdare
    All the PDFs are at least 2.2 MB in size. I'm thinking that the size of passport would be influenced by how you create it.
    I have to agree.
    Most users will be AAPs (Aam aadhmi persons - ordinary citizens) with minimal comp abilities. Such may not be comp savvy enough to fiddle with optimization of file sizes. It is best to make it more user friendly.
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If the service allows for 1GB of storage, I think they should allow files as big as 5-10 MB. I'm not sure if anyone would ever upload 1000 / 1024 documents to fill up 1GB. Bigger file size makes more sense
    That's make sense, You should comment it in the review of Digilocker, i think some contest on this is going on for this,
    And about the document size i am not having a scanner ,got scanned my documents from a Internet cafe, Not sure about his settings of image optimization.
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Discussion on #-Link-Snipped-# has started on LinkedIn. Join the discussion now #-Link-Snipped-#
    Register at #-Link-Snipped-# and give your important feedback. #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Samrath Chouhan
    Samrath Chouhan
    Digital Locker is a personal storage space where you can put your e-documents securely. DigiLocker makes you to access your documents from anywhere using your Aadhaar number. Get more details of Digital locker on . In today’s world, you can save your all data online in Digital locker. Just keep your important document without any issue in Digital locker.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Do NOT misguide people on to clicking links. The .gov.in link you posted pointed to an unofficial website. We take spam seriously and it may lead to permanent ban on your account on CE.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Name: Vijai Kumar S Current edu status : M.S. (by research) in Aerospace Engg Location: MIT, Chennai Occupation: Student Work Experience: Have done some freelance gigs.. Nothing big enough to...
Quote:Heart failure. It is a numbers game with far more losers than winners. The American Heart Association reports that in the U.S. alone, nearly six million people suffer from a...
Quote: It is hard for us today—with the ubiquitous air conditioning (A/C) and mechanical refrigeration many of us enjoy—to grasp how A/C changed our lives. It made tropical and desert...
About 22 minutes long video. What engineering?!
Hi I am 2014 passed out I completed my engineering(EEE). I attend some off campuses i did nt succeded in it.so i decided to do some course so that i...