Diffusion Bonding of Heat Treated Titanium Alloy Sheets

Project Abstract / Summary :
Diffusion bonding is a solid-state joining process capable of joining a wide range of metallic and ceramic combinations to produce both small and large components. The process is dependent on a number of parameters, in particular, time, applied pressure, bonding temperature and method of heat applications.

Diffusion bonding involves the migration of atoms across the joint, due to concentration gradients. The two materials are pressed together at an elevated temperature usually between 0.5-0.8Tm. The pressure is used to relieve the voids that may occur due to the different surface topographies. The method was invented by the Soviet scientist N.F.Kazakov in 1953.

Heat treatment is typically associated with increase in the strength of material and to optimize special properties like fracture toughness, fatigue strength and high temperature creep strength of titanium and its alloys. The effect of heat treatment on titanium alloys is a change in overall microstructure of the alloy. This change in microstructure directly or indirectly affects the physical and mechanical properties of the alloy.

Our objective is to compare the mechanical properties of heat treated and non-heat treated diffusion bonded titanium alloy sheets. Concentrating on the strength of titanium alloy sheets, tests will be conducted to understand the changes in microstructure and micro-hardness before and after heat treatment.

Why did you choose to work on this project topic : Titanium is extensively used in manufacturing of space-crafts, naval-ships, missiles, aircraft engines and frames. Hence we chose to work on this metal with a focus on defense manufacturing sector and try to make an impact on the recent scenario. We are motivated towards Make in India program to help India to be self-sufficient in its Defense Sector.

Project Category : Mechanical / Automobile / Aeronautical
------------------------------------------------------
Institute/College Name: Siddaganga Institute of Technology
City: Tumkur
State: Karnataka
Participating Team From: Third Year

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I know we can find vehicle's latitude,longitude,speed,direction,altitude and so on., using GPS logger. Can we take specific values like just direction from it and transmit to other vehicles? Like in-case...
Project Abstract / Summary : According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration there may be as many as 100,000 crashes from driver fatigue each year, with an estimated 1,550...
Project Abstract / Summary : ABSTRACT Wall painting is a repetitive, exhausting and hazardous process which makes it an ideal case for automation. There are different ways for painting such...
Hi, I'm using ansys 15 in my laptop. I could not solve a problem in that. An error is occurring while solving the problem. I've enclosed the snap of the...
Project Abstract / Summary : In an industry during certain hazards it will be very difficult to monitor the parameter through wires and analog devices such as transducers. To overcome...