differnce between real and reactive power

hi am a 2nd yr electrical student and i want to know wats real power and reactive power.... 😀

Replies

• sushant005
    sushant005
    We know the general meaning of an Electric power is the product of voltage(DC) and current(DC).
    And the current and voltage in AC Circuits are complex in nature and their product result in a complex power.
    Thus the expression of a complex is given by,
    S=P+jQ and P-jQ
    where,
    S is called as the Apparent power
    P is called as the real or active power and
    Q is called as the Reactive or imaginary power.

And
    if Q is -ve then the circuit is Capacitive.
    If Q is +ve then the circuit is Inductive.
    if Q is Zero then the circuit is Resistive.
  • kaniranjith
    kaniranjith
    thk u 4 ur reply😁but i want to know wat a real and reactive power actually does in a circuit..
  • sushant005
    sushant005
    If we consider the power factor it is defined as the ration of Active Power to the Apparent power and power factor should have the value close to the unity.
    Question must be asked why its should be close to unity?
    Answer is, in order to result higher active power from a given apparent power.And power factor is unity for resistive load and it becomes less when the reactive power gets involved in the circuit and which results in the power factor lagging.

our most of the loads in the power system are inductive in nature such as fans,tube lights,refrigerator,AC etc..
    So maintain the unity power factor we have to connect additional capacitors so as to neutralize the lagging effect in the circuit.the most effective methods for the power factor improvement is reactive power compensation by using the desired type.
  • Eng.Electronic
    Eng.Electronic
    Real power is active powe whichis used to do work or to produce energy & it is V*A*Cos phi whreas reactive power is the power which is used to magnetise the magnetic field in electrical motors,transformers,electrical ballasts etc..and it is V*A*sin phi
  • kaniranjith
    kaniranjith
    thk u 😁i really got an idea..
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    This is just for an information. Its the practical side of all the things we read in the books.
    If we percieve things through the point of view of the electrical energy sellers(Electricity boards, private power supply, etc), if a load connected is inductive, it draws more reactive power from the system. To balance it, we have to increase the excitation of the generator. This increases the cost of production of each unit of energy. Also this increase in use in reactive power consumption is not recorded in the energymeter. So, overall, there is loss to the generating station(ultimately). this is the case during peak time. In many countries, peak time consumption is charged extra.
    So, if we have a unit power factor, we can produce and distribute electricity at the least rate.
  • swapnakumar
    swapnakumar
    kaniranjith
    hi am a 2nd yr electrical student and i want to know wats real power and reactive power.... 😀
    real power is obtained when the circuit is purely resistive in nature on the other hand reactive power comes into picture when you have capacitor and inductor,this is also called apparent power because of the presence of imaginary quantity j

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi CEans, There is a coding challenge going on. Its a Intel Threading Challenge 2010 , Show your programming skill and win the exciting the prizes. Here is the link:-Intel®...
(August 19, 2010) – IObit announces the release of its all-new IObit Toolbox, a free portable suite of easy-to-use software utilities that repairs and prevents the widest range of PC...
Hi, why adopt 4-20mA as analog input signal?
Hello, I'm doing a project on cmos analog dll design, any available references which I am able to refer to? such as design of the phase detector, charge pump and...
The term ragging which once meant playful teasing, has taken a completely different meaning today with students indulging in verbal physical & sexual abuse. There have been about 10 known...