Differential Power Shutdown Based on Appliance /House hold Power Consumption

Hi friends,
Do you know that there are certain villages in India,where there is a half a day power supply.My college is situated in that kind of village.A man who belong to that village went abroad and earned much money and started my college in that village so that the situations in that place could change due to the presence of engineering college in that place.But the changes are not the one that occur at a sudden.
Beside the college there is a hostel where my friends used to live.There is a situation where we are preparing for sem exams.The next day was the exam of horrible subject for ece people i.e Electromagnetic fields and waves.So all are preparing with at most concentration.But there is no power in the village for the entire day before exam.Many of you may know that unlike the city hostels,the hostels in the village consists of small rooms and each room is having a light and a fan and nothing else.
I saw many of my friends calling to power supply division office asking them to provide power for at least one hour.But they said that it is not possible there is a huge demand ..so we cannot provide it.So many of my friends used cellphone light to study...........
That is where i got the idea of Differential power shut down based on house hold power consumption.The description is provided below.This project may not be an innovation for other countries like usa,japan...etc where there is no power shortage.But it would be a boon for certain villages(Especially in india) like mine.
Guys,Please take a chance to tell me if you feel that any part of solution of mine can be implemented in a better way.

If you feel that my idea is nice then vote to me..
Vote Now - Top 5 Entries: 'Engineering For Change In India' Project Report Contest

IDEA was:
1. Problem Definition:
System, Apparatus Design for Enabling Differential Power Shutdown Based on Appliance /House hold Power Consumption.

2. Problem Description:
Since ages food, cloth, shelter are treated as basic needs for living but in the current day scenario electricity / power can be incorporated as a fourth basic need. One cannot imagine day without electricity and the three essential needs food processing, textile manufacturing, construction works cannot be carried out without electricity. The importance of electricity day-to-day life, its increasing scarcity is a widely discussed topic and does not require any introduction.

In order to balance the supply and demand of electricity, it is a current day practice to completely shut down power to a particular location (which involves power cut for each and every electronic equipment present in multiple houses, industries etc.).

But looking deep in to this problem, high wattage or high power consuming appliances within a house such as Air conditioner, Refrigerator, Television sets, Heaters / Greasers etc. needs to be powered off than mandatorily used low power consuming appliance such as bulbs, laptop chargers, mobile chargers, toaster etc. in case of power shortage. Due to heavy dependence on electric gadgets, one cannot carry out their tasks without electricity and each individual can understand that the reason behind power failure could be a technical problem or a balancing activity to meet the supply-demand needs.

Assume a scenario where electricity demand for a particular region has suddenly increased and in order to meet the demands the substation authority decided to schedule a power cut for certain time period to this region, this will help the substation to reserve the power and use it to meet the increased demands. During the power cut timings, each and every house / gadget within a house is not provided with electricity. But it in order to reserve electricity, enforcement of power cut on high power consuming appliances would be sufficient instead of power cut for entire house which consists of mandatory gadgets such as laptop charger, mobile charger, bulb, fan etc. that makes individuals life frustrating / miserable.

The core reason for the above discussed situation is traditional broad cast based topology used for power distribution which enforces the power cut for an entire region, but does not provide a granular control interface that facilitates grid to apply selective power shutdown on high power consuming appliances within a house than enforcing power cut on entire house.

3. What happens if the problem is left unattended?
There are several problems if this is not solved. Some of them are faced by every individual in his day to day life. They are:

>>Due to complete power cut the region contained houses consists of kids preparing for examination and the timings of power cut got overlapped with their preparation time.

>>The region of power cut may also include software engineers who had to deliver his work in time. But do to power cut his internet stops working due to the power cut in the local internet service provider region.

>>Charging a mobile is now a days an important task. A single phone call may now make many changes in future. But due to power cut we were not able to power up the phone which is in dead condition.

>>Without the presence of power in house any individual(including children) will feel frustrated because the present day humans are well connected technology(which includes fan, television).

>>Some of the small scale firms are closed due to power cut.

>> In the current day scenario there is no alternative left for the houses but to power up their appliances with generator / inverter during power cut timings. This action calls for more money, effort and environment pollution etc.

4. Proposed Technical Solution:
Core idea is a provision of a system (Software Engine) design integrated / embedded with destination points / power sinks (that can be energy meters deployed at house hold, or meters deployed at industries) and comes in to action during energy balancing which helps to provide an interface for grid to selectively power off high power consuming electronic appliances within a house / industry instead of complete power shutdown for entire region / house (i.e. provides a smart interface to selectively power off high power consuming appliances and keeping all mandatory low power consuming gadgets alive during power shutdown which takes place for maintaining balance between supply and demand).

When a situation arises like necessity to provide power for a particular house or to provide power to all low power consuming appliances (and powering off high power consuming appliances) in all houses during power cut off timings. The proposed system (engine integrated with deployed energy meters) is triggered and gets registered using mobile / wireless network with the central grid using unique ID. All these unique ID's from each house are integrated with an interface at the grid which enables the power administrator to applying multiple selective power OFF/ON schemes.

Installation of proposed system flow:

Energy meter + proposed system -> Registers with central grid application using unique ID

Elements of proposed system:

Proposed system -> Mobile / wireless communicator + Soft layer fuse + protocol which helps to identify the state of high power consuming appliances.

Proposed work flow for applying selective power cut on houses within a region:

Central Grid application (containing list of unique ID per house) -> Apply power cut command on all houses ->Proposed engine receives this command via mobile / wireless communicator ->triggers / breaks the fuse -> All houses powered off Select the ID (house) to provide power -> Apply power ON command on this ID -> Proposed engine receives this command via mobile / wireless communicator -> triggers / activates the fuse -> This particular house is powered ON remaining other houses are enforced with power cut.

Proposed work flow for applying selective power cut on appliances within a house:

Central Grid application (containing list of unique ID per house) -> Apply power cut command on high power consuming appliances within all houses (power consumption can be calculated and decided by administrator) -> Proposed engine deployed at all houses receives this command via mobile/wireless communicator -> triggers the protocol to identify the state of high power consuming appliances-> If high power consuming appliance is in utilization mode -> breaks the software fuse (applied per house) -> if low power consuming gadgets are in utilization mode (all together or summation of the power utilization per gadget should be less than the restricted power consumption) -> Power On per house (this power calculation is done per house).

5. Estimated Time and Cost

Cost Estimation:
>>Recycling the present Energy meters and adding above mentioned feature to them can cost up to few crores as this idea is to be implemented throughout the India.
>>Necessary software Development can cost a few crores.
>>Man power for installation would require a few crores. But this can be reduced by using present employees of power management systems.

Time Estimation:
>>The Development of Software Platform can take 1 year approximately.
>> Recycling the present Energy meters and adding above mentioned feature to them can take a year.
>>If this entire project is given to a single organization then the entire process can be implemented within 2 years because this project is not from the scratch it is just a matter of redesigning.

6. Resources Needed

There are several resources needed to implement the given thought. The resources required include:-

>>Energy meters with above mentioned capability.
>>Software GUI module with excellent hardware support.
>>Manpower with technical knowledge for installation.
>>Center grid application with software support.
>>A Protocol which helps to identify the state of high power consuming appliances.

Replies

• Don Ross
    Don Ross
    This is a very creative answer. Your are correct, shut down is not an option.
    I my self wonder,,, can this be boiled down to a first simple step.
    In order to get the idea going.
    In reality it has to happen in some way while nurturing along your
    long term goal.
    Like just using a sub box that on a time initiated signal shifts to a smaller circuit breaker
    for light duty use.. It would have to be made indestructible.

And yes start your IT stuff to monitor for abuse or control of time shift so the generation
    station can wind down the generators on line.
    Your right,,, The wealthy will run generators which is crazy.
    So let them pay a premium
    for a little more power so they can subsidize your monitoring
    and load shedding.
    Crawl before you walk. In reality a power station should never go off line.
    The amount of power to break inertia when starting back up is mind boggling
    and dangerous.
    It means in reality that they have over built the capacity of the
    station to handle that peak inrush. The money saved on future infrastructure
    investment for that capacity could pay for your project.

This is worth pursuing and you should make it your mission.
    The effect on peoples lives is immense.
    Never mind the environment, and out of pocket cost in electrical rates
    to build in that capacity to over come the start ups when shut down.

This is where my interests also lies.
    Bring power in a responsible way to the masses so no one powerful person
    with money can over shadow another and cause them harm and even death.
    Good luck and God bless your dreams
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    Do you really look like the pic? Strong looking leader. We need people like you to take the bull by the horns. Keep dogging it out. It takes dedication and belief in your self to obtain the results your dreaming of. Do not take no for an answer.
  • ManojKiran Eda
    ManojKiran Eda
    Finally after a long time I had one guy with great support for my idea...Thanks #-Link-Snipped-# for your inspiring words.Your words are really motivating....
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    Manoj I want you to go to witts.ws web site. Look at the more power out vs power in generator application. Don't mind the religious talk. Then go on You Tube and look at the demonstration of the 3/4 hp motor driving the 3000 watt generator. Note the comment about MODIFYING the generator. I WANT TO KNOW HOW THEY DO THAT.
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    Listen I was thinking of your app. Could you use a cell phone number to trigger the change overs. The network is in place. You could have 10 numbers for 2,000 people. All you would have to do is split the incoming power in the sealed box. it would go to a full amp mode or a reduced amp mode. Say 55 amps on the full and 18 amps on the reduced load. They (the customer) would have another external breaker inside their home for the home owner to access at 50 amps and the smaller at15 amps. If they exceed it it trips inside. If they mess around and try to bypass it it would trip the one in the sealed box. Then they're out of power until you come out and reset it.
    Different accounts have different phone numbers so you can control the load shedding depending on the shut down or reduction of the generators capacities. You decide at prearranged times so home and business owners know when to reduce there amperage draw. Think about the app. It's all yours. Run with it.
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    If you can not or do not have the time to work out the generator modifications then do not worry about it. Pursue your project. If you can not do either then release it to another so the nation does not pay for your neglect to commit. This is serious stuff. Worthy of true leadership.But I think you have it to do it. Just as there are those who believe in my abilities to lead. So here I am leading a country not my own.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CEans, I am 2nd year btech ECE student. I want to know what are the different types of projects can be made before going for placement. So that i...
Google Chromecast has finally arrived in India with a price tag of Rs. 2999. After about a year and half since its launch in the United States, Google's finally decided...
Research and Engineers at Stanford University bring a promise of something that will make us free from tangled wires of computers. They have designed a prism like device that can...
i am discussing this issue which many peoples are having today , just because a backlog they not remain able to apply for job (in 99.9%) cases No matter how...
is there have any cheap method to produce energy by using municipal wastes. if have any idea please give me.i need a help.