Difference between one way and two way slab in terms of their structural behaviour?

what is the difference between one way and two way slab in terms of their structural behaviour?

Replies

• CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    Re: slabs

One way slabs are designed to transfer their loads to only two opposite support walls. Generally for spans up to 3.60 meters and with length/breadth ratio is greater than 0.60 one way slabs can be provided.the reinforcement will be along the longer direction.

Two way slabs are designed to transfer their loads to all the four support walls. Generally for spans greater than 3.60 meters and with length/breadth ratio is less than 0.60 two way slabs can be provided.the reinforcements will be placed along the length and the breadth i.e. the reinforcements will be perpendicular to one another.

A one way slab, have it structural strength in shortest direction.
    A two way slab, have it structural strength in in two direction.
  • Guttu
    Guttu

One way slabs bend in one direction and load is distributed in one direction only. They behave like a beam. slabs with length/breadth ratio above 2 are considered as one way slabs.

Two way slabs are those where length/breadth ratio is below 2. The load is distributed in all four sides. Deflection and bending is reduced to a great extent compared to one way slab.

In both case main reinforcement is provided along long span.
  • jagadeshkannan
    jagadeshkannan

Guttu
    One way slabs bend in one direction and load is distributed in one direction only. They behave like a beam. slabs with length/breadth ratio above 2 are considered as one way slabs.

Two way slabs are those where length/breadth ratio is below 2. The load is distributed in all four sides. Deflection and bending is reduced to a great extent compared to one way slab.

In both case main reinforcement is provided along long span.
    Hi Mr.#-Link-Snipped-#

Your explanation about one way & two way slabs was good, but you have mentioned "In both case main reinforcement is provided along long span" thats wrong. for one way slab the main reinforcement should be along the shorter span.
  • undo
    undo
    Re: Difference between one way and two way slab in terms of their structural behaviou

for one way slab. the bending of slab is along the short span. technically.. we avoid doing bottom rebar splice at mid span.

but figuratively with a ruler, the bending is along the longest span. im quite confuse as my lecturer love to make bending examples with a ruler.
  • De Divine
    De Divine
    For one way slab, the bending of slab is along the shorter span. Then where does two way bending takes place
  • vamshi205
    vamshi205
    Learn about One way & two way slab and how to identify whether it is a one way or two way slab? here Difference between One Way Slab and Two Way Slab

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, I'd like to tell you about a new application VideoCharge Studio. Mainly this program is intended for video edition. Using VideoCharge Studio you can perform any video processing operations,...
can i get new and attractive seminar topics of Information science and technology engineeing immediately
Hai to all How to design a duct sizzing for an AHU. On which basis the calculation was depended.
A mega conference for Java developers; the Sun Tech Days conference is soon to be held from March 24-25, 2010,at Hyderabad International Convention Center, Hyderabad, India. Discounts are being offered...
I am the student of computer sciences (2nd last year).I need help in deciding the final year project.