Difference Between UPS and Voltage Stabilizer?

Difference Between UPS and Voltage Stabilizer?

Sure, let's start by defining what each device is, and then we can delve into their roles, differences, and typical applications in a home setup.

1. Voltage Stabilizer: A voltage stabilizer is an electrical device designed to deliver a constant voltage to a load at its output terminals regardless of the changes in the input or incoming supply voltage. They protect equipment from damage caused by an unexpected voltage spike or drop. Voltage stabilizers are used for a variety of electronic devices to ensure they operate within their acceptable voltage range.

In a home setup, a voltage stabilizer can be used with various devices including refrigerators, televisions, air conditioners, and home theatre systems.

They are especially important in regions where the electricity supply is not stable, with frequent voltage fluctuations.

Voltage stabilizers work by either storing excess power and releasing it when the voltage drops, or by reducing the voltage when it rises too high.

There are various types of voltage stabilizers, including relay-based, servo-controlled, and static stabilizers.

1. Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS): An Uninterruptible Power Supply, or UPS, is a device that provides emergency power to a load when the input power source, typically main power, fails. The on-battery runtime of most UPS devices is relatively short (only a few minutes) but sufficient to start a standby power source or to properly shut down the protected equipment. A UPS is typically used to protect hardware such as computers, data centers, telecommunication equipment, or other electrical equipment where an unexpected power disruption could cause injuries, fatalities, serious business disruption, or data loss.

In a home setup, UPSs are commonly used for providing backup power to desktop computers, gaming consoles, network equipment like routers, or other important electrical equipment that could be damaged or cause data loss in the event of a power cut.

The UPS system includes batteries to store power, an inverter to convert battery power to the normal electrical power used by your equipment, a charger to recharge the batteries when power is restored, and a transfer switch to switch the load over to the batteries when the power fails.

Differences between a Voltage Stabilizer and a UPS:

1. Functionality: The fundamental difference between a UPS and a voltage stabilizer lies in their functionality. A UPS ensures uninterrupted power supply to connected devices when the primary power source fails, while a voltage stabilizer maintains a stable voltage level to the devices it's connected to.

2. Backup Power: A UPS provides backup power, which a voltage stabilizer does not. In case of a power outage, a UPS can continue to power connected devices for a certain period, allowing you to save your work or shut down safely.

3. Voltage Fluctuations: A voltage stabilizer mainly protects devices from voltage fluctuations, whether high or low, while a UPS does not inherently stabilize the voltage.

4. Device Complexity: UPS systems are typically more complex devices than voltage stabilizers, including components like batteries and inverters.

Typical Applications in Different Scenarios:

1. Voltage Stabilizer:

• Use with home appliances such as refrigerators, air conditioners, and televisions to protect against voltage fluctuations.

• They can be used in regions where power supply is unstable.

• In industrial settings, they're used to protect machinery and equipment from damage caused by voltage fluctuations.

2. UPS:

• Use with computers, servers, and network equipment to prevent data loss during power outages.

• They can also be used to power medical equipment, ensuring that there's no interruption even during a power failure.

• In industry, UPS systems are used for machinery requiring constant power, preventing damage and production loss from power interruptions.

Note: Many modern UPS systems also include power conditioning and voltage regulation functions, which protect connected devices from voltage spikes and drops, in addition to providing backup power.

These devices blend the roles of a UPS and a voltage stabilizer. However, they are typically more expensive than standalone UPS or voltage stabilizer devices.

I hope the difference between UPS and VS is now clear. If you have further questions, I will be happy to answer for you.

Replies

• cameo
    cameo
    Re: i need ur help

As the name implies,a stabilizer stabilises the power supply.
    It always delivers a constant output voltage even whenthe input of it varies over the time.But if there is no input voltage the stabiliser will not provide any output.Used mostly at places where suddedn power failures doesnt effect much.

But the ups(uninterrupted power supply) will be able to supply the voltage even when the input power is cut off. The back up time (o/p when there is no i/p) varies according to different applications and make.Hence can be used for the purposes,where sudden power failures matters.say in th case of PC's.

if you have an ups,u might not need a separate stabiliser.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain

tech001
    what is the difference between a voltage stabiliser and a UPS? are the 2 the same or do i need a seperate voltage stabiliser for the purpose of voltage stabiliztion?

A voltage stabilizer is an electronic device able to deliver relatively constant output voltage when input voltage and load current changes over time.

The output voltage is usually regulated using a transistor. In a parallel stabilizer the transistor is connected parallel to the stabilizer load, consuming the excess of power. This type of stabilizer is seldom used. In the more popular sequential stabilizer the transistor is connected sequentially with the stabilizer load, restricting the output current.
    --------
    An uninterruptible power supply (UPS), also known as an uninterruptible power source or a battery backup is a device which maintains a continuous supply of electric power to connected equipment by supplying power from a separate source when utility power is not available.

I hope this info will help...

--😁😁Crazy
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ

Not all UPS devices have a voltage regulator function. There exists UPSs that are inexpensive but do not protect the computer from voltage spikes or stuff like that. But the more expensive ones do have it. Make sure you check before you purchase one πŸ˜‰

Voltage regulator devices (sometimes called AVRs) are usually cheap anyway. Its a great investment for protection!
  • Yousuf Rafi
    Yousuf Rafi
    Very nicely explained
  • AZFL1995
    AZFL1995
    Hi, guys!
    I need your help. My monitors are flickering and waving. I think this is from unstable voltage. Stabilizers are very expensive. Regular UPSes I have do not help. Will regulators or more expensive UPS help me to solve the problem?

Thank you.
    AZFL 1995
  • reachrkata
    reachrkata
    Hi AZFL,

In my opinion it is very rare that monitor flickers are normally caused by voltage variations because the variations would need to be very large for this. Usually all AC devices are rated for a good range (typically 180-240V). So there are some possibilities I see -

1) There is some problem in the monitor not related to the supply - get it checked.

2) If indeed it is a voltage problem you suspect - it could be a problem because of varying mains supply (which you can easily find because any other bulb in your home would also flicker)
    Otherwise it could specifically be a problem of your UPS output which you can also check with an AC mutimeter or another bulb.

The easiest way i would say is to take your monitor to your friends house and try connecting to his PC to check if its a specific problem in your house.

Hope this helps !!!

Karthik
    😁
  • raithrovers1
    raithrovers1
    An online UPS's main purpose is to continue to supply power when the mains power has failed using a battery back up. On the smaller computer style (500va - 1kva) the back up time is to allow you to save your work in controlled manner while working on a computer and only last a matter of minutes. The waveform out of these smaller UPS's can be quasi square waves rather than sinusoidal but this very rarely causes any problems. The operation of these online UPS's mean that the normal mains is rectified into DC which charges a battery and also suppllies an inverter which turns the DC back into AC. This process means that any fluctuations on the normal mains supply will not be seen on the output as the output is an electronically generated waveform. Therefore this type of UPS can be classed as a voltage stabilizer.

A voltage stabilizer can come in many forms ranging from electronically controlled stabilizers, motorized variacs and some types of UPS can be used in a voltage stabilzer mode without batteries. The main difference is that a voltage stabilzer in nearly all circumstances will not have battery back up and therefore will not supply power when the mains supply is lost entirely. All it will do is keep it's output at a stable voltage.

Visit #-Link-Snipped-#
  • ghanashyaml
    ghanashyaml
    I know this is an old thread but I am still posting my answer.

In my case I do have a spikes suppressor (or spike guard), I do have waves in different resolutions and I use the resolution (1100+ x 768, do not exactly remember) which has the minimum waves. Mine is a Samsung monitor and I got it checked via their technician who came in replaced some components without success and concluded that it will need to be taken to their labs for testing. I did that and later on they called me to show that my monitor was working perfectly fine in all the resolutions and they told me that it might be the case of a faulty motherboard that might be causing the waves.

I have left it that since I did not want to replace the motherboard πŸ˜‰ at that point.

So test your monitor with another system as well.
  • Avishkar Gote
    Avishkar Gote
    Sometime flickering problem is not associated with voltage problem. I think you should check your screen resolution. If it is high make it low. Go in the properties and check out screen resolution there. 😎
  • M.DORAI
    M.DORAI
    I purchased an HP All in one Computer with inbuilt CPU( Model Name: OMNI 120-1111 IN AIO) 2 years back. About 6 months back while I was working on the computer, there was a power cut and before I proceeded to switch off the power supply, the power came suddenly and my computer did not start. There was no display only the fan was running. I handed over my computer to HP authorised Service Centre M/s.Redington India(Ensure Support Service), Infantry Road, Bangalore. After taking almost 15 days to diagnose the problem,they charged around Rs.4000/- stating that BGA Chip had to be replaced. Again a month back same problem occurred after power cut and sudden power supply. This time they took 25 days to diagnose the problem and charged Rs.6013/-stating that they had to replace both BGA Chip and I.C. and also suggested me that the same problem may occur again in case of power cut and I should use a stabilizer. I paid Rs.30,000 for the Computer at the time of purchase and have spent more than Rs.10,000/- towards repair due to power fluctuation. I feel the company which manufacture the product and sells at such a huge price should have common sense to instal an inbuilt stabilizer to protect the computer from power fluctuation or atleast they should have warned not to use the computer without a UPS/Voltage Stabilizer. Can any one suggest what type of stabilizer I have to use?
    M.DORAI
  • RRITESH
    RRITESH
    Hello,
    The stabilizer only control line voltage for a electronic Device!
    But UPS is used for DC to AC with SINwave now days, in past there was square wave which has lots of disadvantages!
  • Dennis Jay
    Dennis Jay
    Raithrovers1 wrote: "The operation of these online UPS's mean that the normal mains is rectified into DC which charges a battery and also suppllies an inverter which turns the DC back into AC. This process means that any fluctuations on the normal mains supply will not be seen on the output as the output is an electronically generated waveform. Therefore this type of UPS can be classed as a voltage stabilizer.".

My question is when there is power coming from the main and therefore the power is just "CIMING THROUGH" without passing through the battery as when there is a power interruption, does the UPS still actas a voltage stablizer? Great post by the way, Thanks

Dennis
  • msajaa
    msajaa
    The Voltage Regulator. Basically, it is a chip that is set to take a range of voltages in, and put a fixed, regulated voltage out.It provides the cleanest of clean power to sensitive equipment, like Tube Amps, medical equipment, and specialized instrumentation.
    A UPS, or uninterrupted power supply is a surge protector fitted with a battery, so when the power cuts out, your equipment starts to draw power from this battery until the power is restored. These also include a surge protector, GFCI, and sometimes a VR.
  • Dennis Jay
    Dennis Jay
    Thanks msajaa. My understanding is that in the case of an UPS, during a power outage that the battery takes over and via an inverter converts from stored DC to AC thereby gives a very stable current. My query is what happens when there is power from the wall plug and so the UPS is acting as a pass-through or merely as a conduit of the power from the wall plug without passing through the battery (as in AC to DC back to AC). How then does an UPS function also (secondarily) as a line stabilizer as Raithrovers1 wrote?
    Thanks for your patience.
  • Detectiverd
    Detectiverd
    I know this is a very old Thread but I'm posting my question anyways. If I am using a UPS, Voltage Stabilizer for my PS4. Which order should I connect them? UPS=Voltage Stabilizer= PS4 or
    Voltage Stabilizer=UPS=PS4?

Appreciate all answers!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The thread is very common in almost every MBA forum..and doesn't need any introduction. Just post in a word when u log in to CE!
hello.............
hi im an electrician and i can not program and dont understand any of this or the various options i am going to use a device which will use a...
Hi all, I am a bachelor in mechanical engineering. I am planning to pursue a MS in USA. However, I am confused as to which course I must choose. I...
Hello Friends i am new to ARM7TDMI.can any body tell me whats the full form of TDMI.and provide me a guidance of how to start programming it thanks