Difference between 4Matic, AWD, Quattro

I've been reading about all wheel drives (AWDs) and came across various terms 4Matic, Quattro and xDrive. Quickly googled all the terms but couldn't really find satisfactory explanation of the differences between these drive systems. Looks like Quattro is from Audi and 4Matic from the Benz folks.

Would really appreciate a quick overview / comparison / differences between these drive systems. Thanks!

Replies

• Kamlesh Vora
    Kamlesh Vora
    Let me try to explain it.
    Basically all three technology works same with one prospectus to achieve desired torque to either front or rear axle with respect to terrain and without loosing torque and speed at simultaneously. Plus its a automatic feature.
    Now All these are basically Brand name of same technology with chances in to its operation for torque ration selecting and transmitting to both axles.
    Its a combination of complicated overdrive gears messed in between and complex system of hydraulic operated clutches, which works with the help of solenoids.
    Now performance depends on how precisely manufacturer has designed it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Brought up in Chandigarh, Isha Singla comes from a services background and is a first generation entrepreneur. Her father is a Chief Engineer in Public Health department and mom is...
At CE headquarters, it has been a great experience for the team to read all the internship stories. Based on the most complete, most informative and most interesting entries, we...
hello, I'm a TE mechanical student I need to do a mini project immediately as possible as. and i don't have any idea about how to do it. so will...
With such a large number of smartphones launching each day in the market, Chinese handset manufacturing company has always been known for doing something unique to attract attention. Keeping up...
can you me for new ideas about project last year?? Thats should be get sponser in company