Diesel engine with a piston made of Aluminum alloy?

I've designed a diesel engine piston made of an Aluminum alloy. And I got a very high efficiency and thermal resistance by conducting simulation. But is it practically possible to run a diesel engine with a piston made of Aluminum alloy... Please clarify...
upload_2014-7-24_20-33-19

Replies

• Siddhant Mukherjee
    Siddhant Mukherjee
    Generally components in diesel engine should have high inertia so that during the compression stroke there are less fluctuations in speed of piston because the compression ratio is so high. Aluminium alloys are tough but light and hence not used in diesel engines. It will be possible to run it but with a very heavy flywheel. why concentrate a heavy mass at a point its better to distribute it uniformly among moving components. Also did you do a simulation for fatigue? Generally aluminium alloys have a low endurance limit. Hence, not preferred in diesel engines. But, a lot of research is going on making aluminium alloys compatible for diesel engines for it lightweight will enhance responsiveness of the engine.
  • Santhosh M
    Santhosh M
    Thanks a lot for ur suggestion #-Link-Snipped-#... Wil do it and tel u abt the results.... 😀
  • DADISETTY GOVIND
    DADISETTY GOVIND
    S.mukherjee
    Generally components in diesel engine should have high inertia so that during the compression stroke there are less fluctuations in speed of piston because the compression ratio is so high. Aluminium alloys are tough but light and hence not used in diesel engines.
    sir please cn u give me a list or link for materials used for mfg engine n reson of using that material like u have given above
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I work in the Engine Components Industry. I can give you a simple reason why it is not the case (why Al pistons are not used). Due to the high peak pressures in the diesel combustion chamber, higher fatigue and structural strength is required. This can be achieved only with steel forgings. Hence these pistons are steel, not Al.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    shashank Moghe
    I work in the Engine Components Industry. I can give you a simple reason why it is not the case (why Al pistons are not used). Due to the high peak pressures in the diesel combustion chamber, higher fatigue and structural strength is required. This can be achieved only with steel forgings. Hence these pistons are steel, not Al.
    thanks for providing simple and efficient explanation

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi sir/madam..im doing a mega project on mobile signals receive via bts...i want to know that is it possible to collect some electrical energy from signals received from BTS to...
Quote: Britain’s newest aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth has successfully floated out of the dock in which she was assembled. To get her moving, the dry dock in Rosyth near...
Just try to answer this logical puzzle. On a National holiday. A bus was going through a hill road. There were many hair-pin bends. There was a doctor, a student,...
Hi guys I'm Santhosh from Trichy, Tamil Nadu. I'm a Mechanical Engineering student doing the final year of my course. I'm basically a CAD/CAM/CAE expert. I've did some life-style designs,...
So Google Play Store update has been rolled out, the new version of Play store 4.9.13 looks very nice. Good job, Design team 👍