Did my engineering major prevent me from getting a job?

Engineering education tends to stereotype people. The kind of compartmentalizing prevents one from realizing one's full potential. The worst of it is even the individual falls into this trap and builds a fence around. This article investigates this issue.
Quote:
I believe that we need to do a better job of telling our young engineers what they can do. A lot of our senior engineer readers have expressed to me the need for practical engineering education for young engineers; that too many of them are unprepared for the real engineering work that awaits them. If we ask incoming freshman engineers upfront what job or industry they want to end up in, rather than what major they like, we can gear their college work toward that goal. Classes become more practical and hands-on to create a group of engineers that love—and are better prepared for—their job.
Endquote
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Flipkart might have rolled up its sleeves to launch real time shipment tracking and make the entire delivery process faster. Indian online retail giant has acquired a minority stake in...
What technology!? Amazing spectacle at Azerbaidjan: Baku 2015 European Games Opening Ceremony highlights | Baku 2015 - YouTube
I was not aware of the Navy Seal's 40% Rule. However, quite often I have reached a point where one feels,'Enough is enough'. I have forced myself beyond to find...
I am not sure whether this topic is very off from what should be discussed here, but I found this might give students giving semester exams a break from heavy...
I'm Sahil Badani, 18. First year student of Electrical Engg. at Jadavpur University, Kolkata. I consider myself one of those typical students who await the destination but do not know...