Developing a Real Time Energy Monitoring System.

I've selected Real Time Energy Monitoring system for my final year project. I wanted to know how does this monitoring system is employed and what are the basic requirements to do this project. If anyone has worked on this project earlier please let me know how is the complete system developed.

The idea is that we are going to monitor the electrical parameters like voltage, current, power factor, using meters, then take the input using a micro-controller feed this data into a computer and then firing the data to our college website.

The latter one can be done, but I'm clueless about the former. Please help me how to achieve this task.

Replies

• lal
    lal
    There are energy meters available with RS232 or RS485 links. And those meters do give real time readings about all the parameters you mentioned including frequency. It can be easily connected to the serial port of a computer.

By the way, what is the significance of realtime monitoring data being streamed on college website? Is that like remote monitoring? Except real time monitoring, would the system have some other features included?
  • Shreyas Sule
    Shreyas Sule
    I have used the following devices for logging real time electrical parameters:
    1. 32ch Universal Data Loggers
    Advantages:
    - Has RS232/RS 485 output ports.
    - Output file storage options available, eg .csv, .txt, etc
    - Inbuilt storage capacity.
    Disadvantage: Costly, comes with a software package.
    I would advise you to search for cheaper Data logging devices.

2. Elmeasure's TM 5410
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Advantages:
    - Cheaper as compared to Universal Data Loggers
    - RS 485 Serial channel connection
    - LED Display
    Disadvantage:
    -
    Does not come with a software package to configure data logging models.
    If you are looking at few parameters to log/monitor, go for similar kind of energy meters.

Also, could you share as to what you intend to do after you get the data?
    For example, do you intend to perform energy management analysis, energy performance analysis of a DG set or just want to display the data in real time?

I think it would be better to perform different analysis, comparison of historic data, future energy predictions or some similar kind of experiments rather than just displaying it in real time. There are already products available in market that do it. What would be more interesting is to "play" with the data and form some conclusions.

Hope this helps. Please share your insights and progress to benefit us all 😀
  • Vishwas_p13
    Vishwas_p13
    Thanks for the help, the project is mainly intended for future analysis of energy consumption.

The idea is that we are going to use El measure TM5410 for gathering the data, we've also downloaded a software from the manufacturers website that fetches data from the meter. As of now we haven't connected the meter to the PC, I would like to know in what format does the SW saves the data? Do you have any idea of publishing this constantly changing data onto a website? Please direct some links if possible.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Vishwas_p13
    Thanks for the help, the project is mainly intended for future analysis of energy consumption.

The idea is that we are going to use El measure TM5410 for gathering the data, we've also downloaded a software from the manufacturers website that fetches data from the meter. As of now we haven't connected the meter to the PC, I would like to know in what format does the SW saves the data? Do you have any idea of publishing this constantly changing data onto a website? Please direct some links if possible.
    I am not 100% sure that what you are looking for displaying data. But if you are looking for something for server where you want to display data then #-Link-Snipped-# can be helpful to you.
  • Shreyas Sule
    Shreyas Sule
    Vishwas_p13

Great to see the information was helpful! I do not recollect the software format used while saving the data log. I will try to find out. Also, #-Link-Snipped-# 's link seems a good starting point to find methods to publish data to the website. Lets keep searching for better options 😀
  • Shreyas Sule
    Shreyas Sule
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Another opensource software for data trend displays:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Also, while using Elmeasure's Power Analyzer TM 5410, we had connected it to Universal Data Logger via RS 485 port. It was the UDL that saved data into .csv format. Do tell us about your experience after connecting TM 5410 to the computer directly.
  • a.alandkar
    a.alandkar
    Hello mate,
    There is an IC ADE7758 which is an energy metering ic. Using that, you can get all the info. whatever you are looking for in your mentioned project. If you go through the respective datasheet you will find there are diffenrent registers provided for each parameter e.g. active power. Simply you have to access the perticular register and you will get ready made data. Manipulate it as per your requirements. 😀
  • Vishwas_p13
    Vishwas_p13
    Hi, our project has progressed further and we have developed a small Visual Basic program which reads the registers of the meter and logs them into an excel-sheet (.csv file) every minute. I've gone through the link provided by Shreyas Sule, and will try to work on it, but at present I've different idea.

The idea is that I would like to use Google drive for this purpose. I'll publish the excel-sheet using google drive onto the website.

The main problem behind doing this is that How do I auto update/synchronize the excel-sheet on the PC with google drive every minute?
    Please give me some suggestion or link to some resources.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Is there any sensor which can detect anything in the range of 100 meter and can it gives the output in voice ?reply asasp.TIA.
Quote: Bad things can happen when the mechanical gearbox in a megawatt-scale wind turbine gets overstressed. An unexpected wind gust can drive turbine blades hard, so hard that the torque...
what is a scope of plc & scada & what skills it requries??
Changing Environments, a spin off company from MIT Media Labs is changing the environment by transforming the landscape of Boston, Massachusetts. Smart benches, called "Soofas" will now help Bostonians charge...
Semiconductors We all know by now that what are conductors , insulators and semiconductors. But still lets revise once. There is one more difference related to the energy band. For...