DESIGN AND FINITE ELEMENT ANALYSIS OF A SPRING PLATE FOR A THYRISTOR BLOCK IN A POWER MODULE

Project Abstract / Summary : The project is regarding the design and finite element analysis of a Spring Plate, which is used in a Thyristor Block. Thyristor is a 4 layered semiconductor device, which has P type and N type materials sandwiched alternately. A thyristor usually has 3 electrodes: Anode, Cathode and a Gate or Control electrode. Uniform force has to be applied on its vertical axis for it to conduct efficiently, which is done by the spring plate. The thyristor under conducting stages develops heat, which is dissipated by the heat sink. The expansion of the heat sink increases the gap between the thyristor and the heat sink, which is not favourable. Hence, the inclusion of the spring plate is important and critical, as it absorbs the load generated due to volumetric expansion of the heat sink.
The project involves selection of suitable material for the spring plate from many available materials, design of the spring plate using Rankine’s Theory for two different loads, cost implications and finally, the finite element modelling and analysis of the assembly using ‘Ansys’.

Why did you choose to work on this project topic : As we know that a spring materials have a unique property called elasticity, the apparatus (thyristor block) with which we are working consists of elements such as thyristor, heat sink, washers, etc. The heat sink is generally made up of aluminium placed next to thyristor which tends to expand with increase in temperature. The volumetric expansion and contraction of the heat sink is unfavourable for the thyristor, hence a suitably designed spring plate is placed at the end of the block to accommodate these physical changes.

Project Highlights : Because, the project involves selection of suitable material for the spring plate from many available materials, design of the spring plate using Rankine’s Theory for two different loads, cost implications and finally, the finite element modelling and analysis of the assembly using ‘Ansys’.

Project Category : Mechanical / Automobile / Aeronautical
------------------------------------------------------
Institute/College Name: Siddaganga Institute of Technology
City: Tumkur
State: Karnataka
Participating Team From: Final Year

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am designing a solar plant and I want to reduce its charging time but I cannot compromise on current, voltage or solar panels. Is there somebody who is a...
If there was one wish that could be fulfilled—what is that wish you would want to get fulfilled ? Of course the answer is expected in the stream of engineering...
Project Abstract / Summary : All peoples have rights to live life without any Fear and we belong from such democracy where System allows us their Help, Is it really...
Using a new theory that predicts how much light is transmitted through a material, MIT scientists have developed a polymer structure that may be useful in designing cheaper materials for...
Hello everyone. This is nikhil. i'm glad to be part of crazyengineers here. i completed my civil engineering in dec 2014. i got no job till now. I'm from Hyderabad....