Define one H.P

What actually one h.p mean ? I know that one h.p is equal to 746.2 watts but what does it mean? will it consume 746 watts to produce one h.p power ? And show the conversion of H.P to WATTS.

Replies

• Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    Sharfudeen Mohamed Ibrahim
    Horsepower_plain
    I think this pic speaks.

source: Horsepower
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    sorry sharfudeen i know about that pic but i did not understand.suppose,I give you an example : specific heat of water is 4.18 J/Kg.k . so ,here the value indicates 4.18 joules of energy is required in order to raise the temperature of 1 kg of water by one degree celsius.
    In the similar manner i would like to know about 1 H.P = 746.2 Watts
  • Viswanathan Chockalingam
    Viswanathan Chockalingam
    Hi Sachin,
    You want an apt answer?
    Actually 1 W= 1 J/s.So it means that energy transferred in one second.the energy may be in the form of Mechanical,Electrical,Thermal or Chemical or any other means.

Now coming to HP, energy can be transferred at any rate. Higher transfer rate means higher ability to give more energy.The unit HP was introduced to compare the power of a machine to that of horse,that were used initially(As said in the reference).The motor power specifications will be in HP.It is also given in PS.(especially in car engines)

finally 1 HP = Energy given by a horse in one second!
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    So, one H.P is equal to energy given by a horse in one second. can you tell me how much a horse give energy in one second ?
    Viswanathan Chockalingam
    That is 746
    Viswanathan Chockalingam
    746 J
  • NAVATHE SACHIN
    NAVATHE SACHIN
    Power = workdone/time (UNITS : J/S or watts) and 1 joule = 1 newton-meter.So, 1 H.P =746.2 watts or 746.2 n-m/s.This value indicates you require 746.2 newtons of force to the lift weight by one meter in one second.
    Viswanathan Chockalingam
    Exactly
  • GAUTAM KUMAR MISHRA
    GAUTAM KUMAR MISHRA
    I think first pic speaks all things. It is not the matter that how can i say that how much work will be done by a horse in a second because we consider about the general case . It can vary according to the capacity of horse but we take general case and this (1 H.P.=746.2 watt ) is given by our former as other units.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It’s that time of the year, the time we all fall for pranks. While we cannot protect you from the pranks being played by your colleagues, classmates and friends, we...
Well as we all know there are a lot of engineers in our country whereas the job opportunities does not meet the demand.
Well as we all know there are a lot of engineers in our country whereas the job opportunities does not meet the demand. What qualities should a candidate posses to...
Quasars or quasi-stellar radio sources are regarded as the most distant celestial object in the observable universe and yet, they exhibit the most energetic electromagnetic spectra. Arguably, this giant luminous...
I'm looking at various tools, technologies and protocols for a possible implementation of real time chat, a la Slack. Most of the suggestions lead to WebSockets; but since I'm not...