Data Mining Project Ideas List For Third/Final Year Students

Here is a list of project ideas related to Data Mining. Students belonging to third year or final year can use these projects as mini-projects as well as mega-projects. This list has been complied after referring to the project ideas that have come across the forum since last few years. If you have questions regarding these projects feel free to ask them in the replies below. You may also ask for abstract of a project idea that you have or want to work on.
We also encourage you to share more project ideas, so that we can update our list.

Here are a few titles -

1. Building a Multiple-Criteria Negotiation Support System
2. An Exploratory Study of Database Integration Processes
3. COFI approach for Mining Frequent Item sets
4. Online Random Shuffling of Large Database Tables
5. A Flexible Content Adaptation System Using a Rule-Based Approach
6. Efficient Revalidation of XML Documents
7. Practical Algorithms and Lower Bounds for Similarity Search in Massive
Graphs
8. Enhancing the Effectiveness of Clustering with Spectra Analysis
9. Efficient Monitoring Algorithm for Fast News Alerts
10. Top-k Monitoring in Wireless Sensor Networks

You can download this complete list here -

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here is another big list -
  • Nimesh Bavishi
    Nimesh Bavishi
    can i get an abstract for topic " A Relation-Based search engine in semantic web"..plz mail it to me asap...
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Nimesh Bavishi
    can i get an abstract for topic " A Relation-Based search engine in semantic web"..plz mail it to me asap...
    You can check this PDF -> #-Link-Snipped-#
  • REXFORD ALPHONS
    REXFORD ALPHONS
    Hi guys, I'm a new member and I'm enjoying this group already.Thanks to u all...!!
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    REXFORD ALPHONS
    Hi guys, I'm a new member and I'm enjoying this group already.Thanks to u all...!!
    Welcome to CE, #-Link-Snipped-#. πŸ˜€
    Why don't you post your introduction #-Link-Snipped-#, so that we get to know more about you. πŸ‘
  • Minaaz Rizvan
    Minaaz Rizvan
    can I know what all projects can be done in data mining as of now??
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Minaaz Rizvan
    can I know what all projects can be done in data mining as of now??
    Data mining can be done in almost every situation where we have substantial amount of data available.

Data mining is a process used to generate knowledge to tackle the problem at the hand from the data which is available.

This derived knowledge may be then used further by machine learning / Artificial Intelligence algorithms to make an educated guess.

Data mining can be used in various domains

Lets take few examples :

1) To start with, lets say we look at game of tic-tac-toe.
    Assume that we have 3x3 (9 squared, normal version) tic-tac-toe.
    one can write a program which would make the computer play on random squares on alternate turns and save the moves played along with the end result.

Also assume that our computer knows nothing about the game except for the winning (and of course the losing) conditions, and the rules of the games (Only empty squares available to play.)and however is unable to think ahead.

Using this model, we make our program play many games.
    Obviously it will lose or best can manage to draw with the stronger player.

Once we have a substantial amount of games, we then can write a piece of code, which will scrutinize the moves played and provide us with the information as which moves are better and which moves are worse.
    (This is mining of the data)

We store this information and use it for our program.
    One can definitely hope for an improvement over its previous version where in it didn't have the knowledge.

Example 2:
    Pizza Shop.
    Think of the pizza shop which delivers / serves over 100 pizzas daily.
    One can definitely hope to gather some substantial data over a period of six months and a year.

One might be able to find which pizza is favored by people.
    If they buy soft drinks with pizza.
    Based on the customer, (if they ask age), they would also know what kind of pizza is favored by which age group.
    similar knowledge can be guessed from location, day of the week, it can even be drilled to time of the day.
    Basically they can establish a trend.
    Using this trend they can improvise their profit margins.
    This would be even more helpful if they have multiple branches.

Few more examples which I would like you to think on it:
    Stock market(Highly discussed, many resources available),Weather predictions(Highly discussed, many resources available),Football predictions(this is cool), and think of your own.

If you are interested in data mining, I would like to suggest that you do skim through few articles on big-data and how to utilize it.
  • Minaaz Rizvan
    Minaaz Rizvan
    what about social web mining??
    can u suggest me few titles based on it please
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Minaaz Rizvan
    what about social web mining??
    can u suggest me few titles based on it please
    Firstly I would like to know what you are aware of social web mining, what are your interests.

Secondly I shall suggest you to install and start learning python, and if you can't then just let me know, I or any one from CE would gladly help you out.

If you don't know python, then just say so and we can get started with python.

You can just google up on how to install python, and you would receive hundreds of links.

If you are serious about this, then I would surely assist you in developing this project.

β€œHelp will always be given at CE to those who ask for it.” πŸ˜‰
  • Minaaz Rizvan
    Minaaz Rizvan
    am not too sure about it..firstly I would want to understand it..
    can u please help me with it??
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Minaaz Rizvan
    am not too sure about it..firstly I would want to understand it..
    can u please help me with it??
    If you don't know what social web mining is, then probably you are not interested in the topic, or you are misinterpreting the topic.

I suggest you to google the topic of your interest, read about it and then post it back here.
    While you read the information, you just might get an idea, which is totally independent of social mining, then search on that topic and so on.

Google would definitely help you better than anyone.

Social web mining is a vast field and it comes down to what you are interested in, and how can you make your/others life better by taking the knowledge of data.

Also you need to be interested in programing and learning algorithms(It doesn't matter how good you are in it, but its primary requirement to be inclined to it)

Just out of curiosity, I would like to know what made you choose a topic like social web mining?
  • avii
    avii
    simplycoder
    Just out of curiosity, I would like to know what made you choose a topic like social web mining?
    Probably given by teacher
  • Minaaz Rizvan
    Minaaz Rizvan
    noooo..it wasn't given by a teacher...I am actually pretty much interested in stuffs dealing with social mining..but am not too sure if social web mining is what I assume it to be..
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Minaaz Rizvan
    noooo..it wasn't given by a teacher...I am actually pretty much interested in stuffs dealing with social mining..but am not too sure if social web mining is what I assume it to be..
    Ok so just help us, by posting what are you looking for in social mining/ social web mining in a descriptive manner, give few examples, and then we can analyze further.
  • avii
    avii
    Minaaz Rizvan
    looking at your posts, you doesn't seem to have iota of idea of social mining. Don't be offended, you are just asking wrong questions.

instead of asking titles repeatedly, tell us 'what you want to do with social mining'
  • Minaaz Rizvan
    Minaaz Rizvan
    I was thinkin of mining data of ppl who have cetain disease or sumthin like tat...
    or may be sumthin like ranking search results of search engines based on user profile
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Minaaz Rizvan
    I was thinkin of mining data of ppl who have cetain disease or sumthin like tat...
    or may be sumthin like ranking search results of search engines based on user profile
    Great,
    To do this a higher level logic would be,
    1.Get/fetch the web pages of your interest.
    2.Mine the data by using a technique called as scrapping.
    3.Save this raw unstructured data in form of structured data.
    4. Apply algorithm which will take this structured data and produce an output of need.
    5. Save the output produced by your algorithm.
    6. Apply an algorithm which will then derive certain results from the previously saved data.
    7. This is the knowledge you were able to extract from the data.
    8.Utilize this knowledge while going for next iteration from point 1.
    If you understand this, then all you need to do is perform a simple google search on the topic of your interest (BTW the topic related to diseases is pretty complex for first timer.)
    What you can do instead, just see if you can manage this exercise before you go for your project.
    Read the problem statement below.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me being a CS guy, would like to purchase Introduction to algorithms, 3rd Edition
    book by Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald L. Rivest , Clifford Stein
    So I check my local store and found out that this book is too costly, how ever I also know the fact that most of the time I will find a legitimate copy of the book at a cheaper rate if I shop from an online store.
    I also don't mind a second hand book which is cheaper.
    But it is too tedious to search the book manually by browsing through catalog of online stores.
    I have noted the ISBN number :
    ISBN-13: 978-0262033848
    ISBN-10: 0262033844
    Would you be able to help me to buy the cheapest copy of the book either from online store or from local store where I had been to using data mining?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To try this, you need to first outline the process.
    Secondly,you need to use your programming knowledge to get the data.
    Then follow the 8 steps written above.
    Let us know if you still have any issues regarding this.
  • Minaaz Rizvan
    Minaaz Rizvan
    what is scrapping??
  • simplycoder
    simplycoder
    Minaaz Rizvan
    what is scrapping??
    If you are not familiar with the terms used here, then please google them and read about them first, even if you are not able understand then do post it here, we would be glad to help.
    Anyways, here is the explanation regarding data scrapping.
    Data Scraping

By the how are you in programing? Which languages are you comfortable in?
  • SANCHIT1209
    SANCHIT1209
    actually I'm interested in "Online Random Shuffling of Large Database Tables" but the problem is I don't know much about it..So can you tell me how to start, how to proceed and how and from where can I get the information about this??
    please reply asap..
  • kavita sharma
    kavita sharma
    data mining me ETL based project chiyee koi meri help kro please urgent hai......plz plz..
  • PrashantG
    PrashantG
    I've the basic knowledge of Python. Also have idea about database connectivity with sql as well as NoSQL dbs like mongoDB. For my final year CS project I decided Data Mining. New to Data Mining. Can you suggest me project topics? so that i can start further and research on them.
  • PrashantG
    PrashantG
    I've the basic knowledge of Python. Also have idea about database connectivity with sql as well as NoSQL dbs like mongoDB. For my final year CS project I decided Data Mining. New to Data Mining. Can you suggest me project topics? so that i can start further and research on them.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    PrashantG
    Can you suggest me project topics? so that i can start further and research on them.
    Have you gone through the existing list in the replies above? Did you find anything appealing? What topics have you shortlisted?
  • Minaaz Rizvan
    Minaaz Rizvan
    mmk
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Here are some more Data Mining based project ideas.
    • Predicting house prices in a city to create an online service for the Real Estate market
    • Predicting monthly Tourism to a certain state in India.
    • Predicting demand for cabs in Bangalore by car type
    • Predicting kids' apparel sales on a particular website or a particular style
    • Predicting Indian Movie Ratings on IMDB
    • Predicting Lead time for LEED Certifications
  • Piyush Kamdar
    Piyush Kamdar
    Can u suggest some intresting topics which will make use of big data??
  • Raghu Ram Mullapudi
    Raghu Ram Mullapudi
    Can any one suggest any further developments to project which can be challenging and can be completed in 2 months,
  • xiaowenzi001
    xiaowenzi001
    thank you very much!
  • sai krishna pulishetti
    sai krishna pulishetti
    can u give me projects list on data mining

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have problem with my youtube downloader,some videos are downloading while the others not.If anyone knows reply to this thread.
freinds i'm in 4th year, B.Tech(Electronics engg.). I need help regarding final project.. please post some ideas and useful material for it.... thanxx.
can you explain the use of PID (proportional, integral and derivative) control in relation to a line follower? or could you provide a source that explains PID practically?
The_Big_KHa ha 😁 ! Please pull in few of your friends and start discussing instrumentation related topics. That'll motivate others to join in. We look forward to starting a separate...
Pradeep Kumar M Aeronautical Student(Final Year Aeronautical Engineering) Hobbies and interest: Reading and sketching. I want to design and develop a completely new concept aircraft. I joined crazy engineers to...