DARPA Promises Brain-Computer Interface in US Defense: Cyborg World Knocking At The Door?

The Defense Advanced Research Project Agency (DARPA), US R&D department of Defense, is determined to develop an implantable neural interface that would act as a bridge between minds of soldiers and the computer. DARPA plans to introduce a mind-machine interface (MMI) chip in the military that might take us a step closer to a world inhabited by cyborgs. The chip would serve as a translator, converting between electrochemical signals channelized by the neuron and Binary language. The primary idea emphasizes on capturing smart communication in a one cubic centimetre sized device.

DARPA has been working on MMI devices over the past years but most of the applications lacked precision and were engineered to improve medical science. DARPA has now launched a new program called Neural Engineering System Design (NESD), which is expected to enhance research prospects in neurotechnology and provide a foundation for neural therapies.

MMI_Charles_Xman

Current MMI systems provide imprecise and noisy data aggregating signals from tens of thousands of neurons at a time. The newest NESD program aims to develop systems that can communicate clearly and individually with any of the one million neurons, in a specific region of the brain. However, the integrated system needs quality improvement in different sectors, including but not limited to neuroscience, synthetic biology, low-power electronics, photonics, medical device packaging and manufacturing, systems engineering and clinical testing, in order to impact the masses.

The NESD program also requires advanced mathematical and neuro-computation techniques to be incorporated which transcodes the sensory information between the electronic and cortical neuron representations, compresses and finally represents the data with maximum accuracy.

The new technology, although in its infancy has great scope in the emerging field of bio-electronics. DARPA anticipates investing up to $60 million in the NESD program over the next four years. NESD is a sub section of a broader portfolio of programs within DARPA that supports President Obama’s brain initiative.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi is can a Manual Tester become a Penetration Tester or is it only achievable for someone who has been a network engineer or network security engineer ? If yes...
Hello! Guys I try to find this concept of the data compression method and had a got the idea on two of the Lossless Compression Methods, Lossy Compression Methods, but...
Project Abstract / Summary : The motto of this project is to provide a solution for the vocally challenged people to communicate as of like normal people. This methodology involves...
Indian Tech major, Lava, recently unveiled a new entry-level smart phone Lava P7 that comes with a 5-inch display with a Corning Gorilla glass protection and a 5MP camera for...
Resultant is along + y axis answers are theta= 36.87 degrees and resultant = 80 N. Please help me to solve it i used all my brain power lol. Thx...