cygwin64 issue (Linux)

this is a cross compiler to run Linux commands on windows. I have installed this and the batch file opened, but when I write a certain command ("blockMesh" for openFOAM), I get the error:

-bash: blockMesh: command not found

What does this error mean? Is there a problem that I have not addressed while installation? Are there some dependencies I should have installed during the course of installation?

I followed these instructions: #-Link-Snipped-#

Any help will be highly appreciated. This is the last thorn.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Try blockMesh.exe

If it fails post output of 'ls -l' command here
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I tried blockMesh.exe

The same error repeats on the console. Although, I will go home and then post the output of "ls -l" here. What does it do?

Why do you think cygwin64 is giving this error?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ls -l command is used for long file listing. I just want to know the files in directory from where you're executing blockMesh.exe command.

Shashank Moghe
    Why do you think cygwin64 is giving this error?
    I think its giving that error because you're not in correct directory. You need to locate where blockMesh executable exist, then cd to that directory and then execute blockMesh.exe

Have you followed all steps mentioned in part 4 of the link you attached ?
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Abhishek Rawal
    ls -l command is used for long file listing. I just want to know the files in directory from where you're executing blockMesh.exe command.

I think its giving that error because you're not in correct directory. You need to locate where blockMesh executable exist, then cd to that directory and then execute blockMesh.exe

Have you followed all steps mentioned in part 4 of the link you attached ?
    I think I did it correctly. Although I am not a 100% sure because of this doubt:

mkdir -p /home/michael/OpenFOAM/michael-2.3.x/run

this creates a directory at the following location

/home/michael/OpenFOAM/michael-2.3.x/run

what does "home" mean here? Is it the location of the Cygwin64 installation on my C: drive?

Cygwin is installed at this location:

C:/cygwin64
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    /home is one of the directory of Linux Filesystem. It's basically the location for user's personal data. One can store anyting in /home directory, there is no restrictions.

Screenshot from 2015-02-05 23:09:04
    I don't know how to locate /home using Cygwin in Windows. I haven't used it. Sorry, mate.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Shashank Moghe
    I think I did it correctly. Although I am not a 100% sure because of this doubt:

mkdir -p /home/michael/OpenFOAM/michael-2.3.x/run

this creates a directory at the following location

/home/michael/OpenFOAM/michael-2.3.x/run

what does "home" mean here? Is it the location of the Cygwin64 installation on my C: drive?

Cygwin is installed at this location:

C:/cygwin64
    Check in which directory you are (type pwd and press enter), as per the link u shared, you should be in cavity directory.
    Hope it helps. 😀
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# , thank your for your responses. I am going to go home and do some of the stuff you mentioned here and will surely post whatever happens 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Inviting #-Link-Snipped-# [His startup keeps him busy like never before].

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Project Abstract / Summary : Designed a new bearing by modifying the conventional bearing design which could both lock and facilitate rotation, simultaneously,especially for preventing rolling against desired direction (both...
The sequencing of human genome can be done at wider scale in a matter of days with the advances in genome sequencing technology. However, the present approaches used for analyzing...
It was only in January that YouTube was said to be working on supporting the upload of 360 degree videos. Well now, in a rather interesting update for both YouTube...
The Indian mobile manufacturer, Intex seems to be on a launching spree. The company has launched yet another entry-level smartphone- Intex Aqua 5X. Earlier this week, the company announced Intex...
The speed with which automation is entering the field of science is phenomenal. Robotic scientists of today are capable of conducting experiments, study their observations, interpret & analyze the results...