CURRENT TRANSFORMERS

Can anyone please explain me that what will happen when the direction of a primary side of a current transformers vary?? In industries we use bidirectional transformers and feeders ,usually generators synchronized with the grid system..so if one needs to import as well as export power from & to the grid then bidirectional feeders are mandatory..hence what would be the effect

Replies

• lal
    lal
    Alternating Current itself changes direction 100 times per second in Indian power distribution system. A current transformer will work only if the current direction changes and thus reversing the magnetic flux lines with the same time period, which would then induce a voltage in the secondary and which again is measured to calculate the current flowing in primary.

Using a current transformer, we cannot measure which way current flows. As I said, in AC system, current flow happens in both directions. The only measurable part is the value of current flowing through a link.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    lal
    in AC system, current flow happens in both directions.
    Quite right. However, interchanging phase and neutral wires will cause a 180 degree phase shift of the waveform, which is usually irrelevant.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello frnds...i need ur advices to choose the right path in my career to achieve my goal. i am an electrical & electronics engg, 2014 pass out fresher.at present i...
LG Electronics has sought the expertise of Google to deliver free virtual reality headsets to new customers of its hugely popular flagship smartphone, the LG G3. The LG VR for...
Google had acquired a company named 'Skybox Imaging' after it signed up a contract with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) in April 2014. The news has it that ISRO...
Sony has announced the global launch of Sony Xperia E4 smartphone today. Back in September 2014, the Sony Xperia E3 and its Dual-SIM variant was launched in India just after...
Project Abstract / Summary : The project is mainly aimed at having intelligent adaptive headlights in cars in order to avoid accidents due to glare at nights.A camera, which is...