Ctrl+Alt+Del : Why does the computer hang?

Why computer hangs ? Is it deadlock ?? Is it some device working disorder ??? what is it actually ???😕
Lets discuss

Replies

• Raviteja.g
    Raviteja.g
    interesting question!
    waiting for replies
  • electron1212
    electron1212
    Deadlocks are least possible though. They are very rare in OS. That is the reason why most of the OS present ignore the problem altogether and pretend that deadlocks never occur in the system. So they don't have any algorithm for deadlock detection/avoidance/prevention. Because of that they can't recover from the state when deadlock occurs. But as i said that deadlocks are very rare so avoiding the use of these algorithm is more cost effective and efficient. But you can not discard deadlocks as the reason computer hangs. But if that is only reason why computer hangs, then we have one or two hangs in a year😛.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Could be due to multiple of reasons -
    1. CPU utilization goes to 100%
    2. A program starts thrashing
    3. Process queue for the CPU is so much that it cannot process all of them and slows down
  • electron1212
    electron1212
    any more ideas ???
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    What is a deadlock? 😀
  • sriramchandrk
    sriramchandrk
    Computer may hang for number of reasons.

Few reasons are:
    1. May be a problem in hardware. Most of the time it will be due to RAM.
    2. Deadlock may hang few process, and if they are important ones then you feel like the system has hanged, where as processes are waiting for resources to be released by other processes.
    3. Memory images of code getting corrupted may be due to glitches or even due to faulty programs.

Deadlock can be explained this way.

Think there are 2 resources A & B and with a condition that at anytime only one can use the resources.

for example a file(resource) can be opened for write by only one process at a time, if other process tries to open it will be asked to wait.

Let there be 2 process P1 & P2

P1 is using resource A and at the same time it asks for resource B, still it has not freed resource A.
    P2 is using resource B so OS stops P1 until resouce is freed by P2.
    Meanwhile if it happens that P2 asks for resource A even before releasing B. then the condition is called Deadlock.

P1 is waiting for P2 to release B
    & P2 is waiting for P1 to release A.

Only OS can resolve this race condition. for example by giving error to P1 after certain time that Resource B is busy etc.,

Thanks & Regards
    Sriram

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, can any one tell me how the traversal operations take place in binary trees. Especially how the recursion takes place in such operations.:sshhh:
😎Dear sir , i am mechanical student of last year I am thinking to construct a device which will charge small battries. Can u suggest me how i proceed my...
CEans, Those who are not aware of CE Small Talk, please take a look here -> Small Talk Every month (well, almost!) we try to publish Small Talks with people...
hello... I need suggestion regarding buying of laptop with what O.S considering the fact that i am a .net developer.... will vista home premium help or not????
Hi everyone, this is my first post here and I'm quite excited I found this forum. I was looking for something like this for a long time and the members...