CrazyEngineers.com is good for your health. Yep, Really!

CrazyEngineers.com began its online journey as an Internet Forum and discussions have been at the heart of our venture. New research by journal 'Computers in Human Behavior' suggests that Internet forums have very positive links to user's well being. The research claims that the online forums have been found to be of greater importance than previously realised!

While forums usage declined in the last decade because of the rise of social networks (Facebook, Twitter etc.) they are actively used by about 10% of the online users in UK and 20% in the US, the study notes.

The research was done on frequent users of forums across various domains. The lead author of the study, Dr. Louise Pendry found out that apart from finding answers to questions, the forum users showed greater willingness to get involved in offline activities that are related to the forum (CE Meets come to my mind, immediately). These activities could be group meets, volunteering, donating or even campaigning.

The study showed that forum users often develop strong links with other members because they identify themselves more with other forum users. These users who they establish connection with are responsible for greatest benefits like positivity, better mental health which helps in offline world as well.

Note that this does not apply to social networks like Facebook or Twitter which have been shown to cause more depression among users.

CrazyEngineers. FTW. \m/

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    On the other hand, there could be an issue of addiction!?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    A.V.Ramani
    On the other hand, there could be an issue of addiction!?
    Good Adidction.
  • Rahulkumar200
    Rahulkumar200
    Facebook or Tweeter ..etc leads to depression,frustration..
    at least here we in this forum get replies from the real,authentic members. not like those of fake replies of facebook!!
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar

Quoted from article :-
    "forums are a source of great support, especially those seeking information about more stigmatising conditions. Moreover, we found that users of both forum types who engaged more with other forum users showed a greater willingness to get involved in offline activities related to the forum, such as volunteering, donating or campaigning."👍
    So far so true.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Interesting, how many repos have the programmers on CE spawned as part of CE community effort?

Pretty sure that some of the more awesome efforts can be featured 😀
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I think one of the best part of my university days was being active on CE, really opened up my thinking 😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Back in November, 2014 NASA manufactured the first 3-D printed object in space in order to save transport costs and time. NASA further wants to make use of additive manufacturing...
At a time when Apple Watch is bragging about its Haptic Feedback feature that lets a user share tap vibration to another user along with his/her heartbeat, the folks from...
How can we use use Dijkstra's algorithm to find shortest path when there are multiple edges having different weights to go from one node to another and also the availability...
I am jobless ECE engineer. What is future scope of automation and embedded systems?what is current and future market trends in those fields? I Wanted to do training course in...
HELLO EVERYBODY, MAY ANYBODY PROVIDE ME ANY PROPER LINKS OR MATERIALS TO HAVE SOME IDEAS TO WORK ON SQL OTHER THAN THOSE OF DAILY CLASSES OF THE COLLEGE.. ..