Crazy thought on Sensor technology for Vehicles.

Hi CEans....

Have anyone thought about road accidents in India.
There are many factors like : Drinking and Driving, Overs Speeding, Sleepless driving. etc
Some accidents also occur due to some others fault eg: careless driving of the guy coming in opposite to you. Also unavailability of road signs in narrow roads, and on the roads with hair pin bends etc. during night driving.

When I was talking with one of my friend I got to know that two of his friends died because of their car falling into a canal. And the reason for death is the guys inside the car were unable to open the door as it got locked.

Then onwards something went on my mind which I would like to share with you all....
Why not develop a technology which uses a sensor to sense the pressure and the water content on the surface of the car. And when the car or any other vehicle falls into a river (or lake or any other water bodies) the sensor will sense the amount of pressure on the surface of the vehicle and the level of water content on it. And then, the doors should automatically get opened and also the seat belt will also get automatically released.

What do you all think about it. It's just an Idea that came into my mind. Might be it is just a crazy thought.
And if any one think that it is possible, then why don't make it a try.

I request your views and suggestion on it....!!!!!

Replies

• lal
    lal
    The problem here is other electricals of the vehicle. Water is a good conductor of electricity if minerals or salts are dissolved in it. And for that reason water in canals, lakes or any outdoor source will be a good conductor.

If a car is to drown in canal water, it would short circuit the whole electrical circuit and the battery of the vehicle

A solution would be to keep a dedicated secondary energy source and circuit which has the necessary ingress protection to act under water just to drive the mentioned tasks.
  • jeshukb09
    jeshukb09
    lal
    The problem here is other electricals of the vehicle. Water is a good conductor of electricity if minerals or salts are dissolved in it. And for that reason water in canals, lakes or any outdoor source will be a good conductor.

If a car is to drown in canal water, it would short circuit the whole electrical circuit and the battery of the vehicle

A solution would be to keep a dedicated secondary energy source and circuit which has the necessary ingress protection to act under water just to drive the mentioned tasks.

But Sir, What can be the secondary source that you have mentioned here. It would be good if you can just give me an example.
  • jeshukb09
    jeshukb09
    Also it might be possible that, we will just expose the sensors only and rest of the circuit can be covered-up using water proof materials.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    What if the lockdown is due to mechanical reasons which is the biggest possibility if the vehicle has crashed.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Setting aside the control part for the moment, let us evaluate what loads are involved. A car door is about two square meters in area. Even at a modest depth of two meters under water the the door will see a closing force of 4 tons. Instead of trying to open the door immediately it is better to let in water into the caar to equalize the pressure and then open the door. This can be achieved with a nonelectric water pressure operated mechanism.
  • jeshukb09
    jeshukb09
    I think nowadays cars are coming with an option where there is a switch (at the drivers door) which can be used to control all the four windows. And this might be happening just because of some signal that is given while the switch is being pressed. So when the sensor on the surface of the car senses a high change in variation of the pressure on it, the sensors control part will send some signal to the same controller which controls the window. Thus the window can be opened.
    And for opening the door will it be possible to use a small dc motor to control the locking of the door. The same signal (from the sensor control part) can be used to drive the dc motor, which releases the lock and thus the door gets opened.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    jeshukb09
    And for opening the door will it be possible to use a small dc motor to control the locking of the door. The same signal (from the sensor control part) can be used to drive the dc motor, which releases the lock and thus the door gets opened.
    Can a person inside force the door open against an outside load of four tons?
    You have to equalize the inside and outside pressure quickly before taking action to open the door.
  • jeshukb09
    jeshukb09
    A.V.Ramani
    Can a person inside force the door open against an outside load of four tons?
    You have to equalize the inside and outside pressure quickly before taking action to open the door.
    Sir, I do agree with your opinion that the person inside the car won't be able to open the door because of two conditions.
    1. They won't be able to put the force to open the door against the outside load.
    2. At that situation, they also might not be possible to think what to do.

So, actually I need to happen all these thinks ( (i) opening the window for inflow of water and (ii) opening or releasing the lock of the door ) automatically.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    jeshukb09
    So, actually I need to happen all these thinks ( (i) opening the window for inflow of water and (ii) opening or releasing the lock of the door ) automatically.
    A float operated non electrical valve can let out the air inside and let in the water.Likewise water pressure actuated override can open the door locks. Both actions can be independent of the electrical system of the car, which may fail on immersion.
    Why don't you work on such a scheme?
  • jeshukb09
    jeshukb09
    A.V.Ramani
    A float operated non electrical valve can let out the air inside and let in the water.Likewise water pressure actuated override can open the door locks. Both actions can be independent of the electrical system of the car, which may fail on immersion.
    Why don't you work on such a scheme?
    Sir can you please make it clear about the term ' float operated non-electrical valve'.
  • lal
    lal
    By 'secondary energy source' I meant a second battery and electric circuit which is isolated from the main electric circuit of the care. It doesn't seem to be quite feasible though!
  • jeshukb09
    jeshukb09
    lal
    By 'secondary energy source' I meant a second battery and electric circuit which is isolated from the main electric circuit of the care. It doesn't seem to be quite feasible though!
    Sir.. Why can't the secondary energy source be feasible if we use a battery for that purpose. As for the working of the sensor I think it doesn't require a high voltage. Am I right ??????

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

sir i am a b.tech final year student and as a project submission, i want to make frequency synthesizer i.e. if i speak then the device convert it into another...
sir i am a b.tech final year student and as a project submission, i want to make frequency synthesizer i.e. if i speak then the device convert it into another...
i know that abstract classes cannot be instantiated but we say that then we create the sub-class object then first that will run the parent class constructor which is our...
Founded in June 2012, The Media Ant is a privately held Marketing and Advertising company by Samir Chaudhary, Mayank Bidawatka and Mukesh Agrawal. The Media Ant is a market place...
iBall has launched a new Android 4.4 KitKat running tablet in India with iBall Slide 3G Q7271-IPS 20, which features a 7-inch IPS Display (1024 x 600 pixel resolution) and...