Why are processors 32/64 bit, and not 12, 48, 128 bit?

i just want to ask that why usually 32 bit processor or 64 bit processors are commonly available.what is the reason behind it.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The question needs a bit of elaboration. Are you trying ask why 32-bit processors are more commonly available than 64-bit ones? Please explain a bit in more detail.
  • radha gogia
    radha gogia
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The question needs a bit of elaboration. Are you trying ask why 32-bit processors are more commonly available than 64-bit ones? Please explain a bit in more detail.
    i just want to ask that why are processors made of 32 or 64 bit only ,why not 12 bit,48 bit,128 bit?
    and usually 64 bit processors are more prefered over 32 bit processors,so whats the reason behind it
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    DOS is 16 bit OS. I hope this answers your question. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Why not 128 bit: computer engineers and hardware manufactures are still noobs and still have to figure out how to develop 128+ bit OS

Edit: You know that 2^x is computer metric system.
  • radha gogia
    radha gogia
    Anoop Kumar
    DOS is 16 bit OS. I hope this answers your question. ๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Why not 128 bit: computer engineers and hardware manufactures are still noobs and still have to figure out how to develop 128+ bit OS

Edit: You know that 2^x is computer metric system.
    sir ,it would be kind of u can if u can elaborate ur answer a little bit about computer metric system
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think you can find answer to that question in most opening pages of a computer architecture related book. If you are a CS engineering students, I am sure you have one or two books on that subject. Go through them.

Also, I am compelled to share this link: #-Link-Snipped-#
    It gives you in-detail view of 32 and 64-bit processors. It should answer many of your questions. Go through it and come back here to ask further questions on the same if you got any.
  • radha gogia
    radha gogia
    i just want to ask that why the processors are made only of 32 bit or 64 bit,why dnt we commonly use other than that like 128,256 bit and so.

Also if i use 32 bit processor then it means it can address 4 Gb of RAM ,so if i dont have that much RAM ,say i have only 2 GB of RAM ,so why is actually the configuration of computer made so although i can increase my RAM upto 4 GB ,but still the vendor began with the 2 Gb RAM,so whats the reason behind it.

Also i have another 64 bit processor with 2GB of RAM,but the problem is that i cannot extend my RAM upto 4GB so whats the reason behind it,any idea?
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    First thing to understand here is what this 32 or 64 implies here. It means the processor have 32 or 64 bits registers, data width and memory addressing capability.

If we take 64 bits register, it can store an integer value up to 2^64 which is a very huge value and is sufficient for normal usage. Also, 64 addressing capability means you can directly access huge amount of RAM. The amount of RAM a 64 bit processor support is much more than the slots we have even today... ๐Ÿ˜
    Like you pointed out, in 32 bits processor, only 4 GB of RAM is supported.

Another factor is cost, area and power. Memory (SRAM) is very expensive to fabricate. Having a 128 or 256 bits processor will not give any significant advantage as we're yet to even reach the full capacity of 64 bits processor.

To your other question, its the capability or the maximum it can support if you need it to. Again, in 32 bits processor era, the memory(DDR II DRAM) was new and expensive. If they would've added 4 GB in the system, the system cost would've been dramatically increased. So rather, they left it on user. Besides if you're assembling a system, it's up to you what configuration you want.

The only reason I can think why you can't extend the RAM is that you might be using a 32 bit version of the operating system. The 32 bit version can only use up to 4 GB of RAM no matter how much RAM is physically available.
    Check to see if this is the reason. I cannot think of any other reason why you shouldn't be able to install more RAM if your processor is capable.

You can write you system specifications,
    Processor (Full details including model no.):
    OS(Again full details. Not just the name):
  • radha gogia
    radha gogia
    [Prototype]
    First thing to understand here is what this 32 or 64 implies here. It means the processor have 32 or 64 bits registers, data width and memory addressing capability.

If we take 64 bits register, it can store an integer value up to 2^64 which is a very huge value and is sufficient for normal usage. Also, 64 addressing capability means you can directly access huge amount of RAM. The amount of RAM a 64 bit processor support is much more than the slots we have even today... ๐Ÿ˜
    Like you pointed out, in 32 bits processor, only 4 GB of RAM is supported.

Another factor is cost, area and power. Memory (SRAM) is very expensive to fabricate. Having a 128 or 256 bits processor will not give any significant advantage as we're yet to even reach the full capacity of 64 bits processor.

To your other question, its the capability or the maximum it can support if you need it to. Again, in 32 bits processor era, the memory(DDR II DRAM) was new and expensive. If they would've added 4 GB in the system, the system cost would've been dramatically increased. So rather, they left it on user. Besides if you're assembling a system, it's up to you what configuration you want.

The only reason I can think why you can't extend the RAM is that you might be using a 32 bit version of the operating system. The 32 bit version can only use up to 4 GB of RAM no matter how much RAM is physically available.
    Check to see if this is the reason. I cannot think of any other reason why you shouldn't be able to install more RAM if your processor is capable.

You can write you system specifications,
    Processor (Full details including model no.):
    OS(Again full details. Not just the name):
    sir ,I got ur point but my systems processor is of 64 bit but still i cant extend its RAM ,SO plz may i know the reason for this.
    and also I have 64 bit processor and I can extend it only upto 8 GB of RAM ,so actually i want to know the reason behind this that how much RAM can be extended although we generally say this that the 64 bit processor can address 2^64 memory locations so actually what specifications are responsible for extension of the RAM.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - I've merged two similar discussions.
  • [Prototype]
    [Prototype]
    radha gogia
    sir ,I got ur point but my systems processor is of 64 bit but still i cant extend its RAM ,SO plz may i know the reason for this.
    and also I have 64 bit processor and I can extend it only upto 8 GB of RAM ,so actually i want to know the reason behind this that how much RAM can be extended although we generally say this that the 64 bit processor can address 2^64 memory locations so actually what specifications are responsible for extension of the RAM.
    Okay, drop that sir. You make me feel like 60 years old daddu.

I've answered that question in last paragraph of the previous reply. If you're using a 32 bit OS on 64 bit system, you still cannot use the available physical RAM more than 4 GB. Most probably that's the reason so check your OS.

And what's the reason for concluding that you can only extend up to 8 GB? Have you tried putting more than 8 GB? If you're concluding it based upon the physical slots available in your computer, it's just a limit put by the board manufacturer to reduce the cost and space. General user wouldn't require more than 2 slots. Only power users like gamers, graphic workers require more RAM. In that case they can opt for expensive board which can support up to 4 slots.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    radha gogia
    Also i have another 64 bit processor with 2GB of RAM,but the problem is that i cannot extend my RAM upto 4GB so whats the reason behind it,any idea?
    You are using windows 7 basic or Vista basic which supports only 2 GB RAM.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear Sir, I am from Silicon Institute of Technology. We want to start a Biomedical Research Lab. We have a budget of 2.5Lakh. I need your suggestion for the equipments...
What would most suitable tech items for enterpreneurship. What is the budget required to start a solar lantren or LED lighting buisness.
It's been ~100+ days after Narendra Modi took over the big boss's role in India. The man's been at work and hasn't taken a day off. Just wanted to know...
Hi all, Technovanza 2014, India's leading Technical Festival, in association with Google Developers Group, Mumbai brings to you "Geeklist #hack4good" hackathon against climate change in Mumbai. "Geeklist #hack4good" is an...
OnePlus One is 'the next' phone launch in India everyone is waiting for. In an AMA (ask me anything) session company's executives confirmed that the pre-orders of OnePlus One in...