Could This Brain-To-Brain Interface Be The First Step Towards Achieving Telepathy?

A researcher duo from University of Washington may well be on their way to achieve the closest possible thing to telepathy today. The recent efforts by Rajesh Rao and Andrea Stocco together with the collaboration between the UW Institute for Learning & Brain Sciences, Computer Science & Engineering and the Department of Psychology, have led them to develop a system that lets a person’s brain to control another person’s hand motions while sitting in a remote location via transmissions sent over the Internet. Last year in August, Brain-to-brain interface lets you control your friend's physical movements these sparkling results where the duo demonstrated their technology by playing a game.

university-of-washington-brain-interface

They used an electroencephalography (EEG) machine to read Rao's brain, while he was looking at a computer screen to play a rather simple video game, where he had to fire a cannon at a flying bird using just his mind and no hand movements. All he had to do was imagine moving his finger to hit the fire button (only imagine, not move). In a different lab, Stocco was sitting wearing a purple swim cap with a transcranial magnetic stimulation coil that was placed over his left motor cortex, which controls hand movement. Their results showed that whenever Rao imagined hitting the 'fire' button, Stocco would almost instantaneously move his right index finger to fire the cannon.

Brain-to-brain-interface-diagram

The team has been steadily working over the last year to further develop the system and today the University of Washington has shared that the research work is receiving a $1 million W.M. Keck Foundation grant. The team envisions this technology leading us towards something called “brain tutoring,” where knowledge gets transferred directly from the brain of a teacher to a student. We could make brilliant scientists out of genius teachers, because sometimes words are not enough to explain complex theories and thoughts.

Take a look at the recent video to see the project in action -

We can't help but imagine that this tech could be the foundation on which telepathy could be made possible. What are your thoughts & opinions? Share with us in comments below.

Source: Bridging brains | Be Boundless

Replies

• Sowmitra
    Sowmitra
    Kudos for the experiment
    Were you part of the experiment !?
    What was the dominant frequency of the electrical signal picked by EEG of Mr. Rao's brain !!?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# No, I wasn't part of the experiment. Just reporting the news. You can however find out more information or probably get in touch with the team at the official website - #-Link-Snipped-#
    (a place dedicated to share the Pilot Study of Brain-to-Brain Communication in Humans)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Raspberry Pi, the mini computer everyone loves has been released in a new avatar; smaller and cheaper than its earlier version. UK based Raspberry Pi Foundation has announced Raspberry Pi...
i have only 53 % in BE (electronics and communication). i am willing to do IES am i eligible for it
Firefox has announced 'Firefox Developer Edition' as a part of its 10 anniversary celebrations. Mozilla had released FF 1.0 10 years ago. Aimed at the nerdy folks on the Internet...
I'd not call myself a programmer or a coder; but I'm fascinated by programming languages. Several new languages have been invented to program computers in various ways; but no matter...
Microsoft has put the Nokia brand name to rest with the introduction of Microsoft Lumia 535. The change had been anticipated ever since a year ago Microsoft decided to acquire...