Correct approach for troubleshooting any computer / network issue

I'm wondering if we can come up with a set of instructions which we can follow step by step while troubleshooting any computer or network issue. I was trying to fix an issue with the screensaver on my computer and tried almost everything randomly. After I got the solution, it was quite obvious that I didn't look where it mattered the most - something that could have been eliminated provided I knew an approach to fixing computer or networking problems.

Would love to have a few inputs from computer enthusiasts. We can expect to have a healthy discussion on this and try to come up with very general set of instructions we all can follow while troubleshooting.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As you enter the professional world, it's essential that you learn a few common sense based professional email writing protocols. I've found out that a LOT of freshers send emails...
The next in the line of our popular weekend debate is scheduled on Sunday - July 06, 2014 at 7:00 PM (IST). The debate is open to all the CEans!...
I stumbled across the work of Marcello Barenghi. Just take a look at how he makes pictures come to life! Mind = blown!
Taking cue from nature for your next robotics project might be the most sane thing to do. As engineers and researchers from across the globe are developing interesting robots that...
A team from University of Washington researchers, led by Maya Cakmak and Rajesh P. N. Rao, has developed a new way of Goal-based Imitation Learning. The computer scientists have shown...