Corning USB 3.0 Optical Cable Offers 5 Gbps Speed Up To 30 Meters

Corning has announced the availability of USB 3.0 Optical Cables. While the topic of cables is usually boring for many of us, the latest offering from Corning should definitely get some attention. The new Optical cable is capable of delivering 5 Gbps speed at a distance of about 30 meters. Not only do these cables look stunning, the features (and we'll talk about them in a minute) would definitely make you want to own one; especially you are a speed fanatic like us, at CrazyEngineers. Corning had talked about these cables back in January 2013 and has now announced availability for the masses.

slide

These cables are based on Corning's ClearCurve optical fiber and are about 50% thinner and 80% lighter than comparable copper cables. The cables are easier to transport and offer a zero-bend radius. You may twist these cables, bend or tangle them without worrying about loss of functionality. With no compromise on the speeds; you can rely on these cables to keep your backup equipments, printers at longer distance and still get things done faster than ever before.

Corning promises that these Optical cables can deliver 5 Gbps and are compatible with your existing USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 devices. The biggest advantage comes in the form of range without needing any external power supply. You may hot-swap these cables and have inbuilt overcurrent protection. If you still aren't impressed; then know that your regular copper based USB cable can deliver to about 3 meters; these cables can do 30!

On Amazon, 10 meter long cable is available for $109. If you are willing to wait, the USB 3.1 Will Do 10 Gbps But Intel's Thunderbolt 2 Will Rule With 20 Gbps and Thunderbolt Networking To Allow Ethernet @ 10 Gbps, Promises Intel are coming with eye-popping speeds and features. Stay tuned!

Source: Corning announces all-new USB 3.Optical cables

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    My question here is
    "Are these cables going to provide the same speeds on both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports ?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

guys i need an advice on choosing a project topic and probably a list of topics would help in these areas. 1. ethical hacking 2. data mining 3.internet security 4....
hi guys...i want to know about sms based search engine..i want to choose it as my project topic....plzzz can any one suggest me how it works and how to implement...
Sir, plz guide me .how can i delete log file in sqlserver 2008 by command mode and any other ways.
uBuntu 14.04 LTS (Long Term Support) is now available for download from the official website. It's been just ~6 months since the launch of uBuntu Saucy Salamander and we've a...
Wish you many Happy returns of the day CEan @Rupam Das and @Guttu Have a rocking year ahead. 🎉