Converting Batch process into Continuous process

the industry where i work have batches process and its kinetics is unknown....i tried a lot to search for it but couldn't find any good results....and i m trying to design for continuous process for same process....the reaction time goes maximum to 8 hours in single batch....i would like to have suggestions on how can i try for this....what factors should i take in account....what parts to think on....thank you

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Garvit Garg
    the industry where i work have batches process and its kinetics is unknown....
    How in the name of heaven was the plant set up without basic info about the process? Was any optimization done at all?
    If no trade secrets or IPR issues are involved please give some more detatils of what the reaction is for us to comment.
  • Garvit Garg
    Garvit Garg
    tri sulfonation of naphthalene on 1,3,6 positions is first and of least yield step....using sulfuric acid and oleum....its a small scale industry....optimization were done by smart laymen who carried out reactions varying temperature than acid quantities than analysis of result....cant open up full method but still in the batch max residence time goes upto 8 hours batch in step of it....and seriously i have no idea how the set this up....m new here....
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Eight hours residence time may make it very difficult to make it a continuous reaction. Elevated temperatures are needed for Naphthalene sulfonation. Use of sulfuric acid adds to the problem. It may be possible to design some sort of coiled tubular reactor.
    Detailed engineering will require data on expected ouput, operting temperatures and such.

In my opnion this is not an exercise for an open forum like CE. Only working closely with a chemical plant design agency tied down with appropriate non disclosure agreements a design document can be generated.
  • Garvit Garg
    Garvit Garg
    thank you a lot sir for your reply....somewhere inside i feel the same.....😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Please tell the approach of solving ques 25.
First question.. ,ques no,in this question actually i am not able to understand the approach involved.. Second question.. ques 20 ,In this ques according to me answer should be 2...
Attify, a Mobile Security Services and Training company, was founded by Aditya Gupta and Hrishikesh Kumar in the year 2013. Attify is based in Bangalore, India. Aditya Gupta is an...
Microsoft is working on a smartwatch and it's got a heart rate monitor too. Nothing exciting, right? According to a report published in Forbes, Microsoft's smart watch will work with...
public class qu11 { int fun(int num) {int count=0; while(num>0) { count++; num<<=1; } return count; } public static void main(String aa[]) { qu11 obj=new qu11(); int output= obj.fun(435); System.out.println(output);...