Conversion of UPS in Stabilizer.

Dear All,
I want to know that how it is possible to convert a 1000VA(say) UPS into a voltage stabilizer. As we also know that UPS O/P voltage is constant and about 220V AC whatever its I/P voltage is available for given rating. Now, If I feed 12V DC supply using rectifier circuit in place of battery then can I get output voltage of 220V.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Good that you are thinking laterally.
    One can use an umbrella as a walking stick. No problem. Just a suboptimal solution.
    However, what is important is that one is aware that this can be done. May be crucial in an emergency.
  • lal
    lal
    Yes, you can replace the battery with a rectifier. But, be warned, that's a lot of current your rectifier has to deal with. And an extra two stages of conversion.

For 1000VA output, in an ideal case, the rectifier should be able to supply 1000VA/12V = 83.33A. In reality, considering losses, that value should be around 100A. That's actually very huge a rating for transformer, diodes and other filter elements of the rectifier circuit.

Then the extra conversion stages and hence the losses. AC has to be first rectified to DC and then again to stabilised AC in this setup, which adds extra losses and a far less clean output waveform. The output waveforms of UPS supplies are mostly not the pure sine wave type, unless specified by the manufacturer.

But anyway, the short answer is, yes, it is possible.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have just cleared rrb assistant exam. Interview will be in the next week. I dont know how to answer why banking after btech.. can any one please help me..
Bluetooth SIG has revealed the plans for the technology that has changed our lives. Bluetooth SIG, the team that brings us Bluetooth has informed that in 2016, Bluetooth Smart will...
HTC India has just launched its new smartphone in the country, with HTC Desire 728G. Though there's nothing special about the phone's specifications that other lower budget smartphones don't offer...
Hi guys, I have a question plz solve it. Some persons were going somewhere in a bus. They gave total 100 rupees to the conductor if conductor takes 5 rupees...
So in 2013 I read about a project that was being researched by Nokia in the UK. They said they were going to create a MEMS chip that in theory...