Contact Lens Help Check Sugar Levels

Scientists at the University of Akron, USA have announced a new color-changing lens that can detect glucose levels in tears.These lens will help the diabetic patients to check blood sugar levels without frequently pricking their skin to check sugar level. The lens can sense glucose in tears and reveal the information. The scientists have involved the molecule called probe that binds with sugar and is combined with a dye. As sugar concentration rise it binds with probe and knocks the dye, causes the color change. By detecting the level of change in color we can check sugar levels in body.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I know a lot of diabetes patients who bear all the inconvenience of the pricking pins. 👎
    But do you think people would be comfortable wearing & managing contact lenses to check sugar levels? 😲 And how will they produce tears? Pricking the eye? 😭

Pricking your finger will always be painful but modern test kits allow you to use your forearm near your elbow where nerves are minimal and pain is almost zero. Most long term diabetics are used to injections that they don't feel a thing.

Would love to know what other CEans think about this.
  • graphite
    graphite
    I agree that most long term diabetics are used to injections and they don't feel a thing but now-a-days people often use lens. These lens are normal lens but changes its color on rise in concentration of sugar. The color change will be noticed by wearer till he/she looks in mirror. It can be used to identify patients with pre-diabetic conditions. No need to prick an eye to produce tears, lens won't affect tears. Researchers are developing an application that can detect sugar level with a camera phone snap of eye.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

This my seem like spam or advertising but I am dead serious. One of the best places to learn Javascript (or Python/Ruby if you like) is https://www.codecademy.com You learn by...
hello frnds....i m interested i working on tesla coil as a project for my final year....i thought of many ideas but m not getting anything innovative out of it..plz can...
Within five weeks, Betaworks had changed the look and feel, infect complete make over of DiGG, new Digg would be known as Digg V1. The Aim of this make over...
Google has acquired Wildfire Interactive Inc., a startup that helps companies market their wares via social networking. The deal is signed in $250 million plus performance incentives. I wondered after...
Have you ordered the First independently engineered and manufactured hardware device by Google? If yes, there is one good and one bad news for you. Google delayed the launch of...