Consumable & Non Consumable Electrode

what is consumable and non-consumable electrode?? and where it is used??

Replies

• venkatking.v
    venkatking.v
    Both are used in Welding.. Electrode which is used also filler material in welding process is called as consumable electrode, here we should feed the electrode continuously example MIG. then which is used only electrode is called as non- consumable electrode example TIG.
  • jaspal rautela
    jaspal rautela
    what is the functin of shield gas and flux in welding process?
  • venkatking.v
    venkatking.v
    jaspal rautela
    Flux used to prevent the oxidation of molten materials [work piece & filler rod] .
  • mechky
    mechky
    jaspal rautela
    what is consumable and non-consumable electrode?? and where it is used??
    When electrode itself gets melted and becomes a part of weld puddle, the electrode is known as consumable electrode. Consumable electrodes perform both the functions as they act as electrode to form arc and provide filler metal as well as flux.
    Electrodes that do not melt under the heat of welding are non-consumable electrodes. They just act as a positive or negative electrode to form electric arc. Carbon & tungsten electrodes are non-consumable.
  • mechky
    mechky
    jaspal rautela
    Functions of shielding gases:

- Provides inert atmosphere and protects molten and heated metal from the surrounding air. If air comes in contact with the molten or heated metal, the oxygen in the air will oxidize the metal, the nitrogen might cause porosity or brittleness in the weld metal and moisture from the air might also cause porosity.
    - Shielding gas composition affects metal transfer from the electrode to the weld pool, which in turn influences the amount and size of the spatter created. It also affects the appearance of the weld bead, the weld geometry & the possible welding speed.

Functions of flux coating in electrodes:

- Provides inert atmosphere
    - Flux combines with impurities in molten metal to form slag which is lighter and solidifies on top and can be scrapped off easily
    - Flux prevents rapid solidification of weld metal
    - Directs the arc to the welding zone
    - Flux is usually bad conductor of electricity so it allows electrodes to be used in narrow regions without danger of electric short-circuit
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    venkatking.v
    Flux used to prevent the oxidation of molten materials [work piece & filler rod] .
    Another main function of flux is to reduce the melting point of the electrode to enable it to penetrate the intersection better. It also helps wetting.
  • abdala bakheet
    abdala bakheet
    what is the consumable electrode aw processes
  • TINKAJ Rana
    TINKAJ Rana
    if an electrode produce electric arc and also act as filler metal is known as consumable electrode.for example-MIG.
    and if an electrode only provides positive and negative charge to form electric arc is called non-consumable electrode.for example-carbon,tungsten etc.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i decided to do ah project in networking bt i not get any better ideas to do in advance... pls help or gve some ideas to do my project
Hello Everyone! Am Gowtham.N IIIrd year Mechanical Engineering Student. Am from Tamilnadu,India. Its a great Pleasure to be here with engineers across the world. Hope I can Learn something new...
Hi CEians, I need a help here. Am a mechanical engineering student. Till now i believe that after my degree i will be having two paths. One is TECHNICAL and...
Hi All! First of all, thank you for accepting me in this group. Pls call me Grace, I'm from the Philippines. I am a graduate of Electronics and Communications Engineering...
How I Braved Anu Aunty & Co-Founded A Million Dollar Company - by Varun Agrawal seems to be quite famous among engineering grads. I've just began reading the book and...