Constructing The World's Largest Telescope (E-ELT)

Just a few hours from now, the construction of world's largest telescope, The European Extremely Large Telescope will begin. The first step in the process is to break the ground using dynamites. The explosion will be livestreamed and you should be able to watch it on the source link (see below). The telescope will be located at Cerro Armazones, Chile near the Paranal Observatory. While the construction will take about a decade, the E-ELT, will be the only of its kind once ready!

E-ELT

The E-ELT will have a reflecting telescope with 39.3 m diameter and a 4.2 m secondary mirror. These will be supported by adaptive optics along with several measuring and tracking instruments. The total cost of the construction of the telescope is €1.1 billion. Of course, the E-ELT will be able to look deeper into the space than any other astronomical instrument or tool in existence.

The extremely large telescope will play a key role in expanding our knowledge about the earliest stages of formation of planets and stars. It's expected that the E-ELT will help the researchers directly measure the rate at which Universe is expanding.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# | European Extremely Large Telescope to break ground (using dynamite) live later today | The Independent | The Independent | World's Largest Optical Telescope Construction To Begin In Chile This Year

Replies

• RVignesh
    RVignesh
    wow... The only question that i can think of is, is it worth spending €1 billion just to study stars and space.
  • prahu mac
    prahu mac
    really a nice way to study space a bit deeper!!!!!!!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi all, i am out here to find a solution, am a engg student of 2014 batch i did my final year project on topic based on mapreduce paradigm and...
Quote: We have so many IKEA hacks we had to make another collection. "IKEA Hacks - Volume 2" has step-by-step instructions to build 25 projects that show the furniture that...
Quote: The objective of this instructable is to guide your way throw the entire making process of building a BuildersBot machine. An Arduino controlled CNC Router that can also perform...
Gone are the days when you had to take out your phone to check out your sms and reminders. A Japanese company Matilde have come up with glasses which do...
The next in the line of our popular weekend debate is scheduled on June 22, 2014 at 7:00 PM (IST). The debate is open to all the CEans! Read the...