Computers As Good As Monkeys At Image Recognition

Computers are excellent at most tasks but there is one such thing at which they are consistently beaten by humans, Pattern Recognition. But it seems our trump card to supremacy may be soon slipping away. Brain Scientists like Charles Cadieu have been pitting computers against monkeys at key image recognition tests for a decade. Up until now, monkeys were doing at least ten times better than a machine, at what Cadieu calls the “neural substrate that makes recognition possible.” This was done by wiring sensors to a monkey's head and measuring how the neurons in the inferior temporal cortex reacted to images flashing on the screen.

Siri-in-a-year

But Scientists at Massachusetts Institute of Technology have changed the game by using "deep learning" algorithms to improve the machine's guess at recognizing image. It is reported that the reported techniques have brought about almost a tenfold increase in the performance making computers “pretty equivalent” to monkey brains. Apparently, the answer to every other computational roadblock of the last decade comes in the form of a "deep-learning" algorithm, thanks to Geoff Hinton (who is now at Google). With its various contributions to Apple Gets Siri-ous About Its Speech Recognition as well as research, I think "deep-learning" deserves to make a #-Link-Snipped-#.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

An XDA member 'riyono' ported Jolla launcher for Android 4.2+ devices from original source of an XDA member 'Arnob' who ported it for Android 4.3+ devices. I have tested it...
I accidentally got Admission in Aeronautics Engineering and studying fair enough to be in It. but still wish that if i would have been admitted to mechanical Engineering.
Have anyone know if there would be an engineering course that specially is for mechanical things like fasteners etc. ______________________________________ Suppliers And Manufacturer of Fasteners
Keeping in mind an ever-growing class of 'mileage-oriented' bike commuters, Honda had launched the 'Dream' series in the budget bikes segment by launching the 'Dream Yuga' in January 2012. After...
This news has been the sensation on the TV's and Internet nut i don't know how we missed it. So here is the discussion for all CEans. Is Facebooks secret...