Computers are finally able to solve word problems and bring our dreams to reality

When I was first introduced to the computers years ago, I wasn't impressed. All I wanted to know whether the machine would provide me answers to the questions I directly typed in. The answer then, was 'no'; but engineers at MIT have turned it into a 'yes'. A team of researchers at MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory along with a team from University of Washington has developed complex algorithms that are capable of solving word problems. As of now, the system can correctly answer the algebra problems and is likely to evolve to solve physics and chemistry problems as well. You don't have to break down the question into parts or make the computer understand it; the computer does it all by itself.

slide
Illustration: Jose-Luis Olivares/MIT​

The system has been developed by Nate Kushman along with Regina Barzilay and team. In order to make the computer understand the word problems, the researchers relied on two existing computational tools - Macsyma and a sentence parser. Macsyma identifies the structure of the word problem and converts it into a template. The sentence parser ensures the meanings of the words are correctly put into context by relating them. For example, if the system encounters phrase 'react with', it gets a hint that the problem is related to Chemistry. If the question has words like 'costs' or 'price', the system thinks that the problem is likely to involve money related calculations.

The researchers have put sanity checks into the system, so that the outputs aren't bizarre. For example, if the problem is about calculating height of an object, then the system won't output a negative number. The applications of such a system are numerous. Right from using it in search engines to to solving common geometry or physics problems; the applications are unlimited. Do let us know your thoughts on the system.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The researchers might have found a cleverer way to putting all rules and constraints in the system. They have also not mentioned the kind of computer they used to make the system, is it a desktop, workstation or a fully blown super computer ?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Stunning research by MITians.They always lead in innovation.Goood article Kaustubh ji
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The researchers might have found a cleverer way to putting all rules and constraints in the system. They have also not mentioned the kind of computer they used to make the system, is it a desktop, workstation or a fully blown super computer ?
    The thread says..
    a team from University of Washington have developed complex algorithms that are capable of solving word problems
    I hope it would be a software / program / App and would be independent of hardware things (can be used with Desktop / laptop or anything), right?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Saw this on a forum in someone's signature... Have a look Lol ! I like it 😛
India has now become the third largest smartphone market after China and United States. With the current trends will ultimately stands on second place surpassing the United States by the...
An Amazon (in) a day doesn't keep Google away. Internet's most-loved children are now competing in the same-day-delivery segment. Google Shopping Express, the search giant's same day delivery service, has...
Trident Iceni Magna is officially the world's fastest diesel powered super-car, capable of burning roads at 190 mph / 306 Kmph. The British car maker, Trident is one of the...
FashUpp, a social fashion platform startup, was founded by a trio team of Ankit Sachan, Ashish Kumar and Koustubh Sinhal - 2010 graduates from IIT Kanpur. The website lets you...